Hicks, Meigh, Johnson imari plate lacking the usual "stone china" marking

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Jun 5, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

just thought this was interesting because it seems to be a factory reject with those incisions and also because it seems to lack the words "stone china" and also Imari 102_7AC998A75854447289923E8F8E87358B.jpeg 14724853_5CB05760B6134A8A925E0E50ECDAFBC8.jpeg 20471710_209F4404BE64405CA940E51FF4B2D956.jpeg 56225936_2D1D046DBCC44EA39651AD2DB0F2D3A9.jpeg

2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I think I've missed something important, but...what 'incisions'?

3. sunday silence

Hello wl: maybe I didn post the pictures correctly but if you can look closely at the maker's mark there are a pair of lions and a circular crest. At about the 7 oclock position on the crest you will see three cuts or incisions that run parallel to each other. They seem to have been incised or otherwise cut into the ceramic. Usually this sort of thing indicates a factory second or a reject depending on how bad it is. That seems to be what is going on here but I am not sure.

Again my apologies if you cannot see this in the pics. Usually I can expand on a photo that is posted but I cannot in this case, so maybe I did something wrong.

4. sunday silence

is this any better? 2.jpeg

Born2it likes this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Naw...but No Blame. I was looking on the face of the plate, and try as I might, couldn't resolve incisions. I was gonna ask for a blow-up of the blue mark, but forgot! That's how it is in the Golden Years!!

Born2it likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hard to see the details of that back stamp, but it looks suspiciously like the "Wilson" fake mark. Haven't see it on this style of ware, though, so anything you can do to post a larger version would help.

johnnycb09 and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree, it looks like the Victoria/Ironstone/Staffordshire fake mark.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. sunday silence

OBB: I dont think it is a fake. For one thing most of those "victoria" fake marks, have the words "Ironstone" or "Staffordshire" on the mark. 2) most of those are on flow blue patterns and not on these. 3) there are several on worthpt. that do show pretty much that same pattern with rectangular shape table and vase resting upon it:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-staffordshire-china-hicks-1831781908

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hick-meigh-johnson-early-1800s-stone-3922272871

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-hicks-meigh-johnson-imari-3842965633

also the use of the red glaze number. Most fakes dont go to all that trouble. But I am not an expert and that is why I bring this up to see what you all think.

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Even blown up its very blurry.I see the numbers 5/1000 as well. I dont think its the dreaded Wilson mark.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can you get a better shot of it?

11. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I see 3/3066, but it doesn't help.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The plate decoration may not be flow blue, but the mark is. Not difficult to find much crisper Hicks, Meigh marks online.

13. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Could someone please post a picture of the Wilson mark, so I know what to avoid?

Born2it likes this.
  14. sunday silence

jeasta I will later if no one is able to.

15. sunday silence

these are the asian knock offs that show up most often at auctions. They do appear fairly often. bb.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  16. sunday silence

here are some more:

cc.jpg

17. sunday silence

now the last two pics I posted, these I can click on and expand. I dont know why I cant with the original post.

Not sure what is meant by the "Wilson mark." these are the most common ones I am aware of.

18. sunday silence

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sorry. My brain obviously made a mistake when it told me Wilson instead of Victoria.

20. jeasta

jeasta Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Draft saved Draft deleted