Featured High carat gold marks - Czech?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello

Please help ID the marks on this brooch/earring set. The closest i can find is a Czech Gold mark. They test as 22k gold minimum.

First mark looks like an animals head, left facing with numbers underneath. Possibly 900, but im not sure. The second mark looks like R L J. The R as a small letter at the top, and the L and J below, and much larger.

Sorry the pictures are blurred, the marks are so small.

Brooch measures 4cm diameter, earrings 2.5cm.

548632D8-1CFE-4B50-9AB6-8D20BFFDD523.jpeg 6EB9EDF8-F4D4-42C9-BAAB-05925D40ED7D.jpeg 0E2EF6A6-B2CF-4838-A593-88ED88C4BA80.jpeg 9A36ED3E-199F-4EA1-B00E-DA32ED953614.jpeg

Any Jewelry, Lucille.b, KSW and 5 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I see a Portuguese gold mark, .800, looks like Lisbon. Used from 1938-1985.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

22 k = 916

do we have a discrepancy here ???

Ratsy Brown likes this.
  4. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Thanks @Any Jewelry that looks like it fits.

@komokwa Its common in some European countries to have a minimum fineness. e.g. the French 18ct eagle head mark gives a minimum of 750 gold purity. I don’t know if that applies to Portugal, and the difference between 800 and 916 is significant. And actually i think these are higher than 22ct. Even after 10 minutes my 22ct acid had done very little.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Even after 10 minutes my 22ct acid had done very little.

next time....put gold on the stone first..! hehehehehe!!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

Sometimes there is an additional gilding on top of the gold. The gilding usually is fine gold (999) or another very high fineness (900 and higher). You have to rub very hard on the touchstone to get through the gilding and to the core metal

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, in many cases it is guaranteed to have a minimum of the marked fineness, in others it is allowed to have a minute difference.
    In the case of Portugal there was no fineness between .800 and .916, and if it tested below the .916 range it would be marked 800. Even if it were, say, 910.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted