Featured Hinged panel bracelet - Victorian? rolled gold/gold filled? Help?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Mar 21, 2017.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Hello Jewelry Forum! Hope I can get some help with this pretty bracelet. It is 6.5" long (not including the clasp tab) and just over 5/8" wide. I assumed at first it is brass but not so sure now. No marks at all. I haven't been able to find a bracelet just like this online; ie hinged (slightly overlapping) panels. Other bracelets I've found with similar motif have been described as Antique and/or Victorian (often gold filled or rolled gold). Is anyone familiar with this style? Any thoughts on age, quality of workmanship, what the metal may actually be? Thanks all for looking! IMG_2748[1].JPG IMG_2749_1.jpg IMG_2750_1.jpg IMG_2751_1.jpg IMG_2752[1].JPG IMG_2753[1].JPG IMG_2754_1.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It does appear too be a Victorian rolled gold bracelet.

judy and wenna like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very pretty bracelet. Aesthetic movement, late nineteenth century, which makes it both antique and Victorian.
    Pity there are no marks, it looks like it is at least rolled gold.

kyratango and wenna like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lovely.....don't i see a small chop mark on the flat clasp reciver..

wenna likes this.
  5. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I wish I could see a mark of any kind. I've been over it end to end with a loupe and nada!

6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thank you all! I was a little surprised after I researched to find that it might actually be that old. Picked it up at the thrift store for 3 bucks. I bought it because I liked it (I'm really trying to at least stick to that). And like I said I really thought it was just brass.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

That is always the most important thing. Turned out you liked something antique, very pretty, and with some value as well.

jackolin, judy, wenna and 1 other person like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Jewelry from this time period was seldom marked.
    Or if it was, constant wear would have worn the mark down.

As stated most likely rolled gold, but could in fact be 9KT or a little higher.
    Please don't acid test it. Take to a reputable jeweler.

Have you cleaned it yet?
    A soft toothbrush and toothpaste.
    A small bowl with a little ammonia and a drop of liquid Dawn dish washing detergent.
    A silver cloth.
    Any of those methods could be used to clean it.

Looks like a repair -

upload_2017-3-21_10-27-44.png

9. Any Jewelry

Looks like the layer of gold has worn off the hinge of the clasp, in that case it would be rolled gold.

wenna likes this.
  10. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I have only polished it up a bit with a sunshine cloth (homemade from recipe found on this site). I agree, that does look like a repair; I'm thinking the hinge might have broken. Speaking of hinges, some of them are quite stiff. Would it be OK to apply a little WD-40 to hopefully loosen them up? I'm thinking yes, but want to be sure...thanks again!

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the WD-40, not knowing what's in it. I might plump for a little mineral oil if anything. That stiffness is due to sheer old age and wear and tear.

wenna likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe a dab of baby oil....just to get the gunk moving

13. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I will try the baby oil then. I have heard (but can't personally confirm) that WD-40 is fish oil based! Thank you both!

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

If you use toothpaste to clean it make sure to use plain, white toothpaste, it works great!

wenna likes this.
  15. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip Marie Forjan! It's actually pretty clean, the photos picked up a lot of reflections because it is nice and shiny.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted