Featured History of this fireplace

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by annalise lee, Jul 20, 2017.

1. annalise lee

annalise lee Member

Hi all am new here hoping to find out some history of this fireplace. I have just moved into a new house and this is our living room. We dont know much about it although it has apparently come from a ship although i dont know how true this is. Here are some pics of it.
    IMG-20170519-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20170502-WA0007.jpg

Attached Files:

2. annalise lee

annalise lee Member

have dug a little online myself. I dont know if am barking up the wrong tree but it quite similar to an Elizabethen era fireplace and panneling so maybe it did indeed come from a ship the house was built in the 1800s and it is right near the sea also we have a big stain glass ship porch door.

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome Annalise......What a beauty!! And, thankfully former owners of the house never decided it would look "better" white!

I can't offer any help, just commenting on its beauty. The ceiling is beautiful too.

I think I can speak for all of us that we would love to see a photo of the stained glass porch door, and any other part of your newtoyou home should you want to share.

May you have wonderful years there.

(Where are you located)?

4. annalise lee

annalise lee Member

hi judy Its amazing isnt it we love it we have them ceilings through out the place they are so so high. The house is rented to us and have been told we arent to touch it or any of the wood panneling (ie paint it white)

The porch door is lovely too i will attach both photos. We are located by the river mersey.
    IMG-20170519-WA0023.jpg

5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

TY Annalise for sharing!

Inlaid tiled floor?

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The picture of the entrance hall indicates late 19th C up to the 1920s. I have a similar tiled entrance hall in this house which was built in 1927. A picture of the outside of the house would date it easily, but so would your local history society, who will have records of when it was built, since I suspect it is in an area with other houses of the same vintage.

The fireplace could have been a piece of architectural salvage, but not from a ship.
    The only way you would have something like that on a ship would be in some luxury liner with a mock country house interior in a first class lounge or smoking room, and it would have been purely decorative, you just do not have any more fire on a ship than you can help, it is more dangerous than icebergs.

There was a fashion called Jacobean Revival in the early years of the 20th C. I suspect this fireplace and surround is what must have been a very expensive custom feature chosen by the owner when the house was built and it is certainly impressive.

Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. annalise lee

annalise lee Member

yes all tiled flooring runs right through the hall into the kitchen. It all needs restoration and some linseed oil to bring them up a bit.

thank you thats helps alot we think the house was built late 1800s we found an old picture and history online of our house with what i think was the original owner. It was taken around 1896 it says online he was a wealthy man who ran a haberdasher and mens tailoring shop in liverpool.

I do think it makes more sense that its a custom peice as its all fits the room beautifully.

kyratango, judy, KingofThings and 3 others like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those floors ! Those gorgeous plaster ceilings! That amazing fireplace! Color me pea green with envy. :)

kyratango, judy, KingofThings and 4 others like this.
  9. afantiques

Floors like that serve as built in climate control. On a hot summer day the house is always pleasantly cool indoors, well, this house is anyway.

10. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Wow, I love that fireplace! It is so very lovely. So you are in England. Is a porch door the front door? Here in the US, a porch door might be considered a back door or perhaps a side door that leads to a porch to most people. Just curious if that's what they call them in England.:)

judy, annalise lee and KingofThings like this.
  11. afantiques

It is an outer door into a small may be 6 by three feet area in front of the proper front door. Somewhere to take your wet coat and boots off and leave the unbrella.

Figtree3, tyeldom3, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The vestibule. As opposed to the foyer.

tyeldom3, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it were in the back, we Americans would call that a mud room. My grandmother's house had one.

tyeldom3, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  14. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)

kyratango, judy and annalise lee like this.
  15. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Incredible fireplace mantle! Take good care of it!!

16. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Fireplace may be a marriage; lower part made of lighter colored wood is actually a fireplace with mantle. Upper dark wood could be from a piece of furniture or a piece of a cornice from some banquet hall, IMO. Or the upper part wasn't refinished and lower part was. There are similar boarders in both parts so I could be wrong, but with that much work invested you'd think at least the upper part would fit perfectly on the lower.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  17. tyeldom3

Thanks for the info, how interesting.:)

KingofThings likes this.
  18. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Vestibule as Bakers' said. :)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  19. tyeldom3

I don't know what a vestibule is!.....:smuggrin::joyful:
    But foyer and mud room is a little easier for me to understand, as Bakers & Evelyb said.:)

20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Vestibule comes before the foyer in the front of the house, the mud room is the back door opening to remove your muddy boots. In Brooklyn brown stones at least.
    The doors to the vestibule were unlocked to the outside to let the mailman in. The other set of doors were locked to the foyer. The vestibule was for the mail boxes and the door bells. It was also a place to get out of the rain while waiting for someone to answer.
    greg

komokwa, Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted