Hitching Post? Lantern Holder? Neither??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Christopher, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Christopher

Christopher Well-Known Member

I am picking this up in the morning and am wondering if anyone could give me some info on it and a possible date.He is cast concrete and about 4 feet tall and he has a hole in his fist. I cant find any examples online to compare it to.
    20200229_103433_copy_954x2016.jpg 20200228_131009_copy_643x1756.jpg 20200228_150040_copy_932x1876.jpg

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Isnt that Tommy Lee Jones ???

Figtree3, Fid, blooey and 1 other person like this.
  3. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

John McCain????

Figtree3 and blooey like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, he certainly has a VERY generic look to him!!! Can't even tell anything from the chipped paint!! Or the towel (??) slung over his shoulder....pants rolled up....heading to the beach?? Place for an iron ring in his hand to tie up something?? Might be too light to keep a horse there.........Lantern holder's an excellent thought!!!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

With that blanket or towel on his shoulder I'm not seeing a lantern holder.

6. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I am seeing a young freed American slave "walking away" with a traditional Kente Scarf draped over the left shoulder to symbolize where he came from...with that in my head, he could have been holding a number of things in his right hand...but that is my vision.

Fid likes this.
  7. flipper

upload_2020-3-2_8-59-2.jpeg Such as this...

8. johnnycb09

Perhaps if he wasnt dressed in 1940s clothes . Pretty sure they didnt have collared shirts like that during slavery .

9. johnnycb09

Well that sounded stupid ! About the collared shirts I mean . What happened to the edit ?

10. flipper

upload_2020-3-3_10-7-20.jpeg This is the best example I could find this morning, but, you know?

Here we go....
    [​IMG]

11. johnnycb09

Yes,I see,wich is why I corrected myself . :) Still not sure its slavery related,but Im often wrong.

12. flipper

And I have a very active imagination and think a bit differently than many...so I could be way off myself.

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted