Hocking American Prescut scalloped Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rknarr2, Jul 7, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

Hocking American Prescut scalloped Vase. I was looking on ebay and the ones I looked at have the eye of David star on them but this one does not. Its dimensions are 5 3/4" diameter top and 6 7/8" height. Is this American Prescut scalloped vase? If not what company, pattern and era is this from? Thank you for your assistance in this request. Rob
    IMG_9578small.JPG IMG_9579small.JPG IMG_9580small.JPG

2. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

IMHO, it's not part of Anchor Hocking's Early American Prescut (EAPC) line, but that doesn't mean it wasn't made by Anchor Hocking. FWIW, the height of yours does not match any of the height of the vases for the EAPC line listed in Anchor Hockings Fire King and More book by Florence

PortableTreasures, judy and Mugzinnys like this.
  3. rknarr2

ok, thank you for taking the time to look that up for me and for the heads up. I was going through another box of EAPC and found a couple cups which did not have the eye of David star on them either.

judy and Mugzinnys like this.
  4. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

The punch cups that go with the EAPC punch set don't have the Star of David on them

Mugzinnys likes this.
  5. rknarr2

ok, thank you. Rob

judy and Mugzinnys like this.
  6. rknarr2

I found several sherbert cups and they do not have the eye of David on them either. However, the dealer wrote on a piece of paper that is taped on the outside as follows
    1st line Prescut, "Oatmeal", cry. 5 oz. Sherbert
    2nd line Anchor Hocking Glass Comp.
    3rd line 980921 (GF, FK, RK) 1941-1970s
    So, my question is when the Eye of Davis is not on the glass, then is the pattern Oatmeal made by Anchor Hocking Glass Company. Thank you and I hope someone reads this and replies. Thank you for your assistance in this request. Rob

Mugzinnys likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Rob - were you able to order any of the books recommended in the other threads? I think your dealer may have gotten his dates at least from the Gene Florence book (GF?).

As best I'm reading the Florence book he divides this line into two general categories: 1. Early American Prescut and 2. Prescut. The time frames on the two lines are different. EAPC dates 1960-1999 and Prescut dates 1941-1970's. Florence goes on to say that while its logical to assume that Oatmeal can be listed with EAPC it is technically not EAPC due to the earlier dates when it was produced.

Further there were only seven pieces produced in Oatmeal: Bowl, cup, saucer, sherbet, soap dish, and 3 tumblers, (4 ounce, 7 ounce, and 9 ounce). So I would assume that if your piece is one of the seven listed and it does not have a star it is Oatmeal rather than EAPC. If it is not one of the seven listed, even if it is missing the star, it most likely is another one of Anchor Hocking's many lines.
    Don

UncleChuckTX and Mugzinnys like this.
  8. rknarr2

No, have not ordered the books recommended yet. I have one box left to go through which looks like it has at least some Early American Prescut. I found a red, white and blue box with Early American Prescut written by the company in curtisive on it and I opened it up and it had what looked like some smalls that were strapped down inside it. I will find out more tomorrow when I go through that box with that red white and blue box inside it more thoroughly. So, the (GF, FK, RK) are probably initials of books. Looks like my mom's dealer got Prescut and the Oatmeal dates right. I found the written receipt in the bag with the sherbets.Since the sherbets were among 7 pieces, then I can assume they are Oatmeal rather than EAPC. However, I can not assume the initial vase, which is not part of the 7 Oatmeal pieces, is Oatmean but another line of Anchor Hockings.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Mugzinnys likes this.
  9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Rob. I'm not finding fault, but I just thought you might want to know that the word is SHERBET, not sherbert. Lots of people mispronounce and misspell the word, but for those in the know, the proper spelling will help when you're trying to ID things.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Mugzinnys likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe that is correct.
    Don

rknarr2 likes this.
  11. rknarr2

I have noticed that the book and I do not always agree probably from me not reading the tape measure accurately and some from error tolerances. For example, its possible, when I wrote the height as 6 7/8", that the book might say 6 3/4" or may say 7". So, I try to adjust my measurement tolerances to suit the measurements in the book if it makes sense to me. I used to put words like nearly, roughly or approximately by measurements I wrote on things that I would ask this forum but I got lazy and quit doing that. Maybe I should go back to using those words in the future. Sorry for my errors in reading measurements accurately. Rob

12. rknarr2

Thank you for the info. I found a punch bowl set and I have found extra cups, too. So, that was a relief to know and found out. Thank you. Rob

13. rknarr2

Ok, thank you. I edited and changed a couple of these misspellings. Rob

SBSVC likes this.
  14. rknarr2

I went through a box of American Prescut and found 2 vases with the Eye of David on them. So, I know what they look like now. Rob

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Ok, since we've been over the sherbet vs. sherbert mix up, then I just have to add that the design is called Star of David, not Eye of David. Sorry, it was just bugging me.

Frankly, I give you a lot of credit for trying to figure out all of Anchor's earlier glassware patterns. In his book, Gene Florence states that if the Star of David is not present, then the pattern is either Oatmeal or Pineapple. He shows some photos of pieces in both patterns and the values or prices for the pictured items.

Your vase is Oatmeal pattern (going by his photos), although he doesn't show a vase or give a value. Probably because he didn't have one available to photograph. The Pineapple pattern looks like the outside of a pineapple with a cross hatched pattern.

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@dgbjwc In my book Florence states that there were only 7 pieces of Oatmeal produced that went into oatmeal boxes, not that there were only 7 pieces of Oatmeal. And he also states that if it's not EAPC, Oatmeal or Pineapple, then it's just Prescut which he seems to lump into a general category meaning "everything else".

This is why I stick with Wexford. Much easier to understand and identify.

UncleChuckTX likes this.
  17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, ola402. I certainly did misread that section of Florence. My apologies, Rob, but it appears I did mislead you.
    Don

18. rknarr2

In my mind mislead would show an intent to deceive and I do not think that was the case. I think you made a mistake and was honestly trying to help and educate me. Thank you for the apology. Rob

i need help and dgbjwc like this.
  19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Don, I had to read it over about 3 times to get it straight. I was reading it and for some reason thinking about them sticking an entire punch bowl set into an oatmeal box, making myself laugh.

20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I'm going to have that image in my head all day now!
    Don

pearlsnblume and rknarr2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted