Hoffmann ink drawing of Venice

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I bought this at the goodwill 4 or 5 years ago for a few bucks. I took a close look at it with my map reader and it is a drawing done with ink. The viewable image is a about 6" by 7". The only info on the back is the gallery or framers label. I have been wondering since I bought it as to wether the artist is the architect Josef Hoffmann? I looked around for examples of his drawings, but could really only find books about him or photos of the things he designed. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. IMG_1376.jpg IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1378.jpg IMG_1379.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hoffmann is a fairly common name so I think it a big leap to attribute this to Josef Hoffmann. Does appear to be an original ink drawing.

Fid likes this.
  3. Lithographer

Yeah, I hadn't researched this one for awhile. I did find some drawings and it looks like he used kind of a cypher made with his initials. Oh well, I will keep looking.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Friedrichs & Co. had shops at those three locations in the 1960s. That would work with the piece.

Debora

5. Lithographer

I took it out of the frame to see if there was any other info, I found a bunch of cut up newspapers from 1966. I suspect contemporary to when the drawing was done.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you're right. Would you post photographs of the newspapers please?

Debora

7. Lithographer

IMG_1380.jpg IMG_1381.jpg IMG_1382.jpg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. Sunday edition of New York's Daily News. Looks like the Long Island edition. Date right for work.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted