Home Made? Breadboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marie Forjan, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi, I picked this up today at a sale, I love the look of the wood. Am I right in thinking this is a home made bread or cutting board? I'm thinking someone took some old wood parts and put them together to make it.

From the look of the wood I think it has some age, late 1800s, early 1900s?

It measures 35-1/2” x 25-1/2”, the end pieces stick up 3-3/4” high. The end pieces are one side sticking up, the other sticking down to make it flippable. The 2 boards making up the work surface are tongue and groove joined. When placed on a kitchen counter the end piece in front points down keeping the board from moving around on the counter.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Am I right and it's a thrifty use of old wood to make a one-off useful item? I am in Massachusetts in the USA. Thanks for any thoughts on this :)

HomemadeBoardTop.jpg HomemadeBoardSide.jpg HomemadeBoardJoint.jpg HomemadeBoardCorner.jpg HomemadeBoardNail.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Looks like the top of a chest to me ?

judy likes this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I agree with johnnycb09.

judy likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Dough board?

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Me too. My great aunt had one like this.

judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It does look like a pastry board. Odd, though, that the main slab is made from joined pieces... you'd think flour, etc would get caught in the joints.

[​IMG]

judy, moreotherstuff and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, a home made dough board makes sense. Someone used it for resting hot pans on, it has a couple of scorch marks. And you can see cut marks in the first photo, so they used it as a cutting board also.

Yes bluumz, the boards have pulled away a little on one side so there is a slight gap. Not good for rolling dough but I can try clamping it and see if it comes together.

I think the board would be perfect for displaying old kitchen equipment if I ever get to do a real, in person antique show ever again!

bluumz, judy, blooey and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted