HOME RUN FIND? COOL, SURREAL-ISH, LIMITED EDITION JOHNNIE WALKER BLUE POSTER

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 9, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this off a friend who found it in a storage auction he won. It is a limited edition (1 of only 500!) poster for Johnnie Walker Blue by what looks like the name Wen or Wien?

Is this by or approved by Johnnie Walker? I ask because it has the PLEASE DRINK RESPONSIBLY warning, but I can't find another example which you'd think there would be if JW promoted it?

Also, does anyone know who the artist is?
    Thank you for any info!

AA ART POSTER JOHNNIE WALKER BLUE POSTER 1AA.JPG AA ART POSTER JOHNNIE WALKER BLUE POSTER 2AA.JPG AA ART POSTER JOHNNIE WALKER BLUE POSTER 3AA.JPG AA ART POSTER JOHNNIE WALKER BLUE POSTER 4AA.JPG

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. journeymagazine

Is this surreal?

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Depends upon the artist's intention. Could be abstract representational (or figurative.) Or could be surreal.

Debora

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

judy, cxgirl, patd8643 and 1 other person like this.
  7. journeymagazine

Thanks all - wow; I put Johnnie Walker Blue limited edition poster in google and got ... nothing!
    So did they sell these to public - or give to certain retailers?

judy, Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks like its on corrugated cardboard ? Im wondering if this is the side of a box or the like.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the small edition, they were likely given to top accounts, either on- or off- premise. Something along the lines of "order XXX cases and get X." Along the lines of the promotional mirrors liquor and wine brands did in the 1970s/1980s but higher end.

Debora

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I believe JWB is very expensive (not much of a drinker myself....) so the limited production run was to emphasize the elite appeal of the product.

judy likes this.
  11. journeymagazine

Thanks all - what do I call it? Limited edition print from ad campaign? Special available for major distributors only? Limited edition poster?

judy likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd call it a limited edition print and mention that it was tied into the ad campaign. With name of agency and designer. Don't think fact that it was to the trade adds value IMO.

Debora

13. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

On second thought...

I do think it is worth mentioning. The correct terminology, should you wish to use it, is "trade incentive."

Here's some information on wine & spirits trade incentives for off-premise accounts.

https://beveragetradenetwork.com/en...-design-your-sales-incentive-programs-485.htm

Do know that these types of items are never given as gifts because that would be illegal. ;) They are given to be used as display pieces at either on- or off-premise accounts but, of course, the account manager can't actually dictate how they're used. Some, for instance, could end up in a home or office.

Debora

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. journeymagazine

lol- lucky for me!

Draft saved Draft deleted