Featured HOMERUN?! HELP w/SIGNATURE ON OLD BLACK AMERICANA? FOLK ART? PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 2, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a local thrift store - I almost passed it over because it is really dark/dirty without the camera's flash & auto correct . But when I looked closer & then looked with a magnifying glass, I believe I found a real gem.
    Can anyone make out or recognize the artist's name?
    Any idea of it's age?
    What is best way to try to clean it without hurting it?
    PS - It measures 13" x 7" & w/frame 16" x 10"
    I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING BLACK FOLK ART OLD SMALL 1BAA RESIZED.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING BLACK FOLK ART OLD SMALL 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING BLACK FOLK ART OLD SMALL 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING BLACK FOLK ART OLD SMALL 3AA_A.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING BLACK FOLK ART OLD SMALL 7AA.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If there is any chance it has artistic/historical value DO NOT clean it before finding out. You can destroy value that way.

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

That looks very interesting. For something of potential value like this, you should find a professional paintings conservator for advice and treatment/cleaning. You risk serious damage trying to do anything yourself.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Sometime in the past 3-4 months, the Antiques Roadshow had a similar painting... DRAT! That's all I can remember.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  5. journeymagazine

OK - No cleaning it on my own!
    Any idea on name without having to remove from frame? I cropped it down to where I could go, but I couldn't get close close up to begin with because camera would not focus enough to give me the green saying it was focused & o to take pic. (sorry)

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

To my eye, in the close-up picture, brush-strokes appear to be swirling across the entire surface, rather than creating the individual elements of the painting...

~Cheryl

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I see possibly Walker

upload_2018-10-2_10-3-30.png

Bronwen, cxgirl, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think I would be sending pictures to some of the high end auction houses to see who might want it.

I think you found a real winner! YEAH for you! ! !

Bronwen, cxgirl, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm concerned that this is a textured print on board.

10. Jivvy

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. Jivvy

He did paint on board.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. Jivvy

I have officially joined the "you need to have this checked out/do not do anything to it" crowd.

14. journeymagazine

Looking with magnifying glass swirls stop at each pint that color or figure stops + there is paint built up a little in places; like white scarfs on heads of ladies on porch, the 2 little pile n the roof, the pile of clothes? next to lady sitting by stairs - I would be surprised if this is a print (but I've been wrong before)

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  15. journeymagazine

That's him! Now have to get someone t verify it's a painting; do they do prints on board?

Bronwen and judy like this.
  16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Could that be varnish over paint?

To my eye, the back looks appropriately old, which may help in authenticating it. If the real deal, what a wonderful find!

Have you tried looking at it under a loupe? If your camera has a higher resolution setting, that could help, too.

17. journeymagazine

If you put William Aiken Walker in Antique Roadshow search bar & click on 1st link - the close ups of that painting (same size/shape too) show the swirling paint strokes!? too

Bronwen, Christmasjoy, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  18. Jivvy

Yes, they do prints on board. HOWEVER.

I'm now thinking that it's varnish that's making those swirls.

19. Jivvy

20. journeymagazine

I just watched 2nd ARS - about his painting of a lady in a cotton field with a big sack of cotton on her head - appraiser said that some of the varnish(!) had thinned in places...so he did use varnish!
    I got this with 2 other paintings, a White Star cruise lines painting or advertisement & a black & white signed photo of a man with long dread locks; 5 in all - for $40!
    If real where do I sell it? I sell a lot on eBay - but nothing like this if real; is this something for there?

Draft saved Draft deleted