Featured Honey Crystal Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Flashback, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

I have had this bowl for over 10 years and have yet to stumble upon maker, so haven't a clue as to age or even good descriptive words that would help in the search.

It has a rich, beautiful, lasting ring when flicked. It measures 7-3/4" wide and 2-3/4" high, and weighs 3.25 lb., very respectable for its size.

I would appreciate any/all morsels of thought you could toss my way.

IMG_5413-scrunch.jpg IMG_5414-scrunch.jpg IMG_5415-scrunch.jpg IMG_5416-scrunch.jpg IMG_5421-scrunch.jpg

dude, elarnia, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LIKE it, but that doesn't mean I can help with it!!:( Color is GREAT!!

dude, judy and Flashback like this.
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I, too, like your bowl. The ring is indicative of higher quality glass, the design in the bottom makes me wonder if it's a logo of some sort. I don't see any evidence of wear on the bottom which might indicate age, (absence of wear might, too, but neither is conclusive). I hope you can find out something about it.

dude, judy, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I found one with some info. Google translated it from Finnish and of course I don't know if it's correct but perhaps a direction to look.

https://www.ekoaarrekauppa.fi/product/2879/mantyharjun-lasi-katja-kulho-eero-rislakki

Mäntyharju Glass Katja Kulho, Eero Rislakki
    A round Katja serving bowl in amber, designed by Eero Rislak for Mäntyharju Glass. The glass production of Mäntyharju has remained unknown to many, largely due to its short operating time. The glass factory operated in Mäntyharju only in 1968-1971.

The best-known designer of Mäntyharju glass is Eero Rislakki, and the dishes he designed were Troika, the trio Katja , Lara and Nina . Other well-known designers who had been in the glass factory for a while were e.g. Tauno Wirkkala and Pentti Sarpaneva.

At the factory, utility and decorative items were made by blowing and pressing. The products were made for both export and domestic markets under the North Crystal brand.

The glasses were made in three colors: clear, purple and amber. The product range included bowls of sweets and desserts, plates, vases, ashtrays, sugar cans, creams, candle holders, decorative bottles and drinking glasses.

This bowl is completely intact and tidy. Height 7 cm and diameter 19.5 cm.

Detailed product information:
    • manufacturer: Mäntyharjun Lasi
    • designer: Eero Rislakki
    • Material: crystal glass with a lead content of 24%.
    • dimensions: diameter 19.5 cm, height 7 cm
    upload_2022-2-6_18-21-23.png

dude, johnnycb09, ola402 and 8 others like this.
  5. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

Wow, @say_it_slowly, thanks! I'd love to know how you found that. I've searched google images as well as with various search terms over the years and have always come back empty-handed (and I've always considered myself as fairly skilled when it came to hunting things down :) )

dude, johnnycb09, judy and 4 others like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Google lens found it, after a few tries. I love it when it works!

7. Flashback

Flashback Active Member

Now that I have a name, I see that there are a pair of his bowls on Etsy from a seller in Finland for pretty cheap (considering the pair).

8. Doot Boi

Doot Boi Well-Known Member

Saying it's now confirmed lead glass, it should glow blue!

dude and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted