Honore Daumier - Lithographien

Discussion in 'Art' started by KosmoCramer, Jan 16, 2019.

1. KosmoCramer

KosmoCramer Active Member

Hello all!

I have this book “Honore Daumier Lithographien 1852-1860.” I believe it is written in German. From what I could gather there are a few different books covering different years of his work.

Are the lithographs in the back of the book actual lithographs? The paper is different on them than the actual written portion of the book.

Any value to it?

8056C310-F998-48C7-B696-ABE4198C527D.jpeg A01D5EF4-AC19-4489-9314-2B0E08C6F6F3.jpeg
    923D0E3A-AB45-4993-B9FB-4598DDF3CC6C.jpeg
    0E33C8ED-31C2-4A5F-A515-8C9F074749B8.jpeg

2. KosmoCramer

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i believe they are called book plates....and are just illustrations..

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The german intro to the illustrations roughly says (I simply typed the text into google translate):

The lithographs united in this appendix are "strich" and true to format - After drawings Daumier's original lithographs, made by the lithographer Paul Mechel.
    We have decided to make a tracing, because even the best technical reproduction methods destroy the most valuable of an original, its ever-flowing life.
    And we just wanted to get this element. To prevent abuse, is always within the image, the publisher sign A.L. appropriate.

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

all in all four volumes. 1 vol. with woodcuts, 3 vol. with lithos.
    the reason for getting them re-sketched is probably rather in the eventual royalties that would have been due.
    about the eventual price, JMHO, you can't go by the prices asked in the online bookshops. antiquarians are notorius for not being from this world. as there seem to be more than enough around from these I'd say list it as all dustcollectors should - one dollar.

Figtree3, KosmoCramer and i need help like this.
  7. KosmoCramer

Thanks everyone!
    I only paid 2 or 3 bucks at a shop. I had no internet connection there to check on my phone so I took a chance since it was cheap. Thanks again!

Draft saved Draft deleted