Hope this is allowed - asking for another forum/group - Pottery query

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Messilane, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Alas, she won't have a photo of the bottom until later - she is sorting stuff for an estate sale and thought this might be better than some think.
    I am just looking for which way to steer her.

penman.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We've had a fair number of members "asking for a friend/neighbor/relative." I don't remember anyone saying there was something wrong with that. Have at it!

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Agreed... asking about any item, for anyone, seems perfectly fine to me. :)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Messilane

Good! Now I just sit back and wait - don't know how long it will take her to get bottom photo - hope it's soon.

Isn't that a kinda neat piece though?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like this is probably a one of a kind piece. Obviously, the potter had some skill. Not typical work but wonder if this might be an example of sewer tile pottery made in off hours.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Messilane

Good idea Brad.
    I had had a kind of British or Scottish vibe from it - or at least a New England feel, but I know next to nothing about "old" pottery.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

the use of a middle initial suggests American, rather than British. We'd use a full name or just first and last. Apparently, the middle initial thing was a US usage that denoted some kind of classiness. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Oops.... I thought I found a Robert Penman in ancestry who could fit the bill, but I had the wrong middle initial. :rolleyes:

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Here's a list of Robert P. Penmans who show up in city directories. Might be a good starting point for researching the man.

upload_2015-7-5_20-12-46.png

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Messilane

Thanks, folks! I will pass these on to the other person.
    They do seem to know how to research, if given the right things to look for.
    Not always the case on that Group. LOL

Still waiting for a photo of the bottom, but I know they are busy.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

What are the white bits? They could be paint/enamel but they sort of look like little bits of something set in the clay. It's very cool.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Messilane

I have no idea, but I will ask in the morning.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

They'd have to be able to withstand firing...

KingofThings likes this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The shape made me think of a barber's bottle. (You didn't say how tall it is)

Barber's bottles are usually glass, but I don't see any reason that some couldn't have been pottery.

Anyway found this info.
    http://www.bottlepickers.com/bottle_articles5.htm

"The personalized bottles would have the barbers name or a very good clients name on it with some kind of a design or picture painted on it. "

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Messilane

Some of shapes are close, but weren't barber's bottles most often glass?

KingofThings likes this.
  16. Messilane

Ok - woke up to more photos -

11050683_850339545019241_4757521922915735713_n.jpg

11411863_850339238352605_8911763720370868002_o.jpg

11148343_850339401685922_6751086957712214943_o.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like an olive oil bottle....or is Greece just too much in the news these days???

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Messilane

:D

What puzzles me (among other things) is the abbreviation for Robert being "Rob." rather than "Robt.".

19. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Man that base is pretty convincing of ...significant age. You can fake wear but not that d*** good.

An estate? Any provenance? Was there anything else of possible....ohhh say late 18th. cent. origin?
    Is the estate antiques laden or does this stick out like a sore thumb?

My very first impression was a very well done reproduction but I don't know of what. The condition seems too perfect. But the more i look the more I believe it may be genuinely old. That base photo is VERY VERY convincing. The decoration appears to me to be little bits of broken china embedded in the surface. If this could be proven to be American 18th. cent....redware It would be very rare and important.(Think inkwell rare;) )The form could even be 17th. cent. but that would certainly be English. The discussion of the arrangement of the name is intriguing. That just might hold the answer.

If it's genuine I see this being no later than 18th. cent..

A photo to Crocker Might...just might be fruitful. I usually don't advocate that but some pieces warrant their expertise.

"Course we're lookin' at photos here. It might just be junk in hand :cool:.

It's a stunning piece if genuine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
  20. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Man O man would I just love to get one touch of that surface. I'd know instantly...

...looks luscious.:)

(Just sittin' n' lookin' at the pictures.)

Draft saved Draft deleted