Hope This Is Bakelite

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 3, 2019.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

825EB53E-7DFA-4E98-8BCE-81CCAA97B86A.jpeg 8A89D1AE-F55A-405A-84F3-E3D75B8C6689.jpeg 27C0CCDE-DEE9-4BE2-B70C-DA88BFE69870.jpeg 5E06EEEE-A986-4AAB-9D9F-8A90DC53477B.jpeg F724CDC2-5F06-4BE9-9E91-9ED06EAC2A01.jpeg Will test it when I get home but I have a good feeling about it.

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Tagua nut perhaps on the large piece w holes?

3. kardinalisimo

D0E0A528-DDBC-4C74-BD54-17F1EF4D60F5.jpeg Yeah, don’t know what’s with the grain. It feels like plastic but could be tagua. Don’t know how they did it but it’s all hollow.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    kyratango, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. kardinalisimo

Interesting but as we discussed in my previous red bakelite necklace thread, that color may give negative test results. By the way it got sold for $450.
    Then, faturan cannot be tested so who knows...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    cxgirl and i need help like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The tan carved beads and pendant are definitely tagua nut (vegetable ivory)...

~Cheryl

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Back in the day, when Goodwill didn't know about the internet and bakelite still sold for a king's ransom, I found a red bakelite hat brooch for $5 at Goodwill.

Simichrome test came back as bright red as the pin. That's what I said in my ebay listing. Sold it for $354.

For collectors, there was zero question that it was a a thermoset phenol formaldehyde resin.

I agree with the tagua nut identification.

8. Jivvy

Although... I'm finding a lot more similar pieces with "coquilla nut" as the search.

And almost all of the results are sewing accessories, so I'm tagging @Poisonivy

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  9. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Definitely looks more similar to images of things that are tagged as coquilla nut - nice catch Jivvy. Suppose it could be either.

sabre123 and i need help like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Two pieces stuck together.:)
    Those circular carvings with holes in the centre are typical for coquilla nut, but I don't know those 'growth lines' from coquilla. Those are sometimes seen on tagua. So my jury is still out.

I have one of these carved coquilla nut eggs, I inspected it, no lines. Now it won't screw back together again, I'll wait till there is less moisture in the air.:arghh:

[​IMG]

kyratango, sabre123, Jivvy and 2 others like this.
  11. Jivvy

We are way beyond my expertise on the subject of nuts. :hilarious:

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I always thought I was quite a nutty expert, but how wrong can you be?:hilarious:

kyratango, KSW, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Tagua and coquilla are different names for the same palm nut (there are other names too) - it will exhibit tiny pores under strong magnification...

~Cheryl

14. kardinalisimo

Asked someone at the fleat market to test is with simichrome. Qtip turns reddish on the orange beads, no reaction to the yellow ones.

15. Jivvy

:jawdrop:

Had. No. Idea.

:hilarious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytelephas

aaroncab, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  16. kardinalisimo

Draft saved Draft deleted