Featured Hoping for help identifying this Rooster Creamer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aRogueScholar, Sep 11, 2020.

1. aRogueScholar

aRogueScholar Member

I recently rescued this guy from a local Habitat ReStore in North Carolina. It is noticeably lighter than expected when held. Measurements are 5.5" Tall x 3.5" Wide
    Rooster 1.jpg Rooster 2.jpg Rooster 3.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @aRogueScholar . I have seen something similar to your rooster before, can't remember where it was from though. I'm sure someone else will recognize it.
    Here it is full image, so the others can see:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, dude and ulilwitch like this.
  3. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

It just reminds me of the old scouring pad/sponge or toothbrush holder.

judy likes this.
  4. aRogueScholar

aRogueScholar Member

I can certainly see what you mean. The mouth opening is reminiscent of those items.

Given the handle I'm fairly certain it's a creamer/pitcher of some sort. It is too small to hold a sponge or scouring pad and would only fit one or two toothbrushes at most.

I handle a lot of antiques and studio pottery and this item just 'feels' really old. It's weight is far less than I expected at 9oz. The glaze has worn down in a small area on the front which appears to have happened over some time. The bottom looks as though it may have been exposed to an open flame and is rounded like a bowl with no flat surface to sit on making me wonder if it sat on/in some type of holder.

The style seems quite distinct as well compared to other rooster/chicken creamers I've found photographs of. It could certainly be that it is a 'one of a kind' hand made piece, I'd just like to try to date and localize it somewhat.

judy, ulilwitch and LovesVintage like this.
  5. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

No idea I’m afraid, but I really like it!!

judy and ulilwitch like this.
  6. Daveac

Daveac Active Member

Also no idea, but really like it too. Could be a fish?

judy and aRogueScholar like this.
  7. aRogueScholar

aRogueScholar Member

I thought fish for a moment to start. I only settled on rooster because it seems more of a crest than a fin, but I can certainly see both.

Daveac likes this.
  8. aRogueScholar

aRogueScholar Member

Now that I say that and have done a little searching, the fish creamers I'm finding share more in common with this piece than the chicken or rooster ones. You might be on to something there Daveac!

judy and Daveac like this.
  9. Daveac

Daveac Active Member

No problem, glad to help. Also the round circular objects on its stomach could be barnacles. Just a thought.

judy likes this.
  10. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

It's a wonderful piece. My thoughts: earthenware, Raku firing, hybrid animal composed of fish, amphibian, and bird. It's the artist's intention and imagination. Darwin for tea!

A sea bird of some sort. An auk or puffin chick?

aRogueScholar likes this.
  11. aRogueScholar

aRogueScholar Member

The exposed surfaces lacking glaze are very coarse to the touch. Almost sand paper-ish. I like the hybrid approach as this piece has characteristics that can be interpreted in many ways. Are there any visual clues on this piece that give you any indication of age by chance?

Draft saved Draft deleted