Featured Hoping for Info on this cobalt ritz

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by i need help, Jun 18, 2018.

1. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

2. i need help

Reassigned from Silver.
    I’m sorry, I meant to post this in the glass forum. Can you please switch when you get a chance? Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

4. i need help

Thank you, Bookahtoo! Sorry! :rolleyes:

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Too bad they don't say the name of the pattern. The section I can see looks to be the same:), I can't see if there is an urn in the pattern though, just the flower.

6. i need help

Mine has urn and flower. The blue one has the flower (daisy I think) but I can’t see the whole rim of the blue to know if it has an urn also.

cxgirl likes this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, I see that now:) Looking at the blue bowl I can see two of the flowers but no urn, on yours it show an urn, flower, urn etc.
    The flower is the same so it must be by the same company

i need help likes this.
  8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

You might want to look at glass silver decoraters such as Wheeling Decorating Glass. The silver dec. was usually added later by another company than the glass maker.
    Patd

anundverkaufen likes this.
  9. i need help

Thank you, Patd, I’ve looked through all the designers I could think of. I looked on the replacements, I also have it on 3 glass forums.
    I’ve only found 2 from eBay, with no maker listed.
    Time to give up!

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

What company are you trying to ID, the glass maker or the decorator? They are generally different companies. These pieces always make my hair hurt because it's so hard to know either company. In the case of the blue bowl, the seller ID's the glass maker only. And I doubt the accuracy of that ID because the bowl is so generic, and who really cares (well, some folks might). One would buy it for the color and the silver. Your plate is lovely, and IMHO the decorator should get the credit on it. The plate would be Blah without the decoration. But it's my understanding that the glass decorating companies are not well documented.

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

I’m trying to find any maker or decorator, or if this is a good quality piece. I found 2 plates. The sold one was $90. The other unsold asking $199. I have one plate and a dessert pedistal. I’m just trying to know if these are nice pieces.

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree with ola402. The shape is just so generic. Ritz Blue is a very popular color in Morgantown depression glass so there's a strong incentive to attribute the item to Morgantown. If they had mentioned the pattern I'd have felt more comfortable.

Are they nice pieces? Yes, I think so. Both look like depression shapes and he decorations are very nicely done. Personally, I'd say they were quality. As Ola notes, the pieces themselves would be quite generic and it's the decoration that makes all the difference. That being said it's very difficult to determine an asking price. It rather depends on what you have invested in them and how quickly you'd like to move them. I would ignore others sold and asking prices. There are just not enough comparables. It's quite possible they didn't know what they were doing and pulled a figure out of the air. One got lucky, one didn't.
    Don

i need help likes this.
  13. i need help

Thank you for that explanation, Don. I think lucky on the pricing is right. I don’t generally sell, but at one point I tried to get some offers locally. I was offered $30 for both. I declined, just wanted to make sure that was a poor offer. 1 is damaged, but I liked them more than that.

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Well, that's the key. If you liked them more than that you were offered then you were right to pass. I'm always reluctant to give values because so many factors can go into an evaluation. I tend to sell relatively inexpensively priced glass, pottery, and china. I sell 95% on ebay and 5% mall. I research every item I sell and if I have to price it under what others are selling to get it to move I do. Even if I paid $50 for an item (rare for me) and find out that they same item only sells for $30 then I have to price it under $30 and swallow the loss to be able to sell it.

Important to note that I do not depend on eBay for any substantial part of my income. In a case where I can't find any sales and I paid $50 I might try $99 at auction. I always run items at auction a couple of times first in case there is a market for it and $99 is too cheap. If it does not sell at auction I'll list it as for $99 on a Buy It Now knowing I can lower the Buy It Now price if it doesn't sell. Not a perfect system by any means but it works for okay for me. But right now I am hopelessly overstocked so I'll need to decide soon whether to drastically reduce some items or pull them from eBay entirely and donate them or run them through a local auction house. I could put them in the mall but if they don't sell on-line they usually won't sell much better at the mall.

I've got to tell you, though, that eBay sales are not going well right now. Even views are down, let alone bids. And items are not fetching much at local auctions either. If you decide to get into sales do it because you enjoy it - not to make money.
    Don

15. i need help

Thanks again Don, I really just try to rescue things from the thrift stores and I rarely do sell. Sometimes I need to clean house and might try to get rid of larger things I’ve collected. I will just hang onto these anyway....
    Probably #1 indication of a hoarder! :hilarious:

dgbjwc likes this.
  16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

huntingtreasure, if you get a minute, can you post a photo of the two pieces you have together? I would be very interested in seeing what your "dessert pedestal" looks like. I just bought 4 desserts with gold encrusted borders instead of silver and I am curious to know if they look similar. I would understand if you don't feel like doing this, then just forget I asked. TY!

i need help likes this.
  17. i need help

18. i need help

I think Tiffin made a lot of gold encrusted patterns.

19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't know there was another thread. Since the decorator was identified as Pickard, it doesn't surprise me that the glass & silver cake plate sold for $90. Pickard was a quality decorating company and many people collect it. Sterling silver is also collected so the piece is cross collectible, with the Pickard name being foremost. I don't blame you for turning down the $30 offer.

However, glass prices are DOWN right now and your potential buyer may have been looking to just scrap the silver (or hedge his bet if the glass didn't sell). (I recently saw a gorgeous Heisey basket with sterling overly that was totally ruined by someone trying to pry the silver off, yikes!)

Yes, I think my desserts are likely Tiffin, but later today I will post them for comment. I think they're so darn fabulous, but I want opinions. Long story for later. Thanks for showing me the other thread.

20. i need help

I don’t think mine is Pickard. It was just the closest I could find. Still no I.D. Thank you, though. Looking forward to your post.

Draft saved Draft deleted