Hoping someone can help....

Discussion in 'Art' started by rpodmore, Aug 22, 2016.

1. rpodmore

rpodmore New Member

I found this item while cleaning out my grandmothers place when she moved. No one seems to remember where it came from or what it is. Does anyone know, or can you point me in the right direction??

Thanks!

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Yikes ! Talk about politically incorrect ! Search under black memorabilia ,black americana etc.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Pictures of the back and bottom might help. Off the cuff, it has a German look to me - the quality of the modeling. Conta & Boehme, or Unger Schneider & Co. are possibilities. There may be a mark on the back near the bottom edge.

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

5. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Lot 254, James D. Julia, Inc., Spring 2003
    AWESOME EARLY BLACK CHALKWARE SCULPTURE Copt. Jan. 1898 by J. Mardi. Boston, Mass. Beautiful large image of three Black Boys peering over fence into Watermelon Patch. An all original, hand painted chalkware casting. Boy’s faces are painted in early soft colors with exaggerated Negroid features. Statuette is well marked with original plaque cast on backside. SIZE: 12″h x 7″w x 15″l. CONDITION: All original paint in very good condition with the most minor of chipping.
    http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-254-awesome-early-black-chalkware-sculpture-29835/

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Seems like grandma knew what she was doing..........nice find !

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It may be, but it is SO ADORABLE!!!! NICE collector item!!!! Also may be a copy of the JULIA one????

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

There are distinct differences between the one the OP has and this one. In particular, the details of the heads are very different. The OP also makes no mention of a plaque on the back. Would like to see more pictures (bottom, back, etc.), be given a size, and the OP's impression of the material.

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Hey, here's one, same genre, the seller deciphered as J. Hardy Boston, Mass. instead of J. Mardi. Boston, Mass.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lot 38: Rare Blackamoor Cigar Holder
    Carolina Country Store Featured Catalog Session by Mebane Antique Auction August 6, 2016 Mebane, NC, USA
    Description: late 19th century; 10.5 inches height; beautiful molded
    chalkware figural countertop cigar display, depicting African American
    boy with arms wrapped around half watermelon, back is marked
    Copyright January 16th, 1890 by J. Hardy Boston, Mass.; overall
    condition is complete and original, only minor chipping and paint loss,
    otherwise excellent; Provenance: Livingston Collection, Charleston, SC

I agree, more pics and info from @rpodmore are needed.

10. rpodmore

rpodmore New Member

Sorry for the long delay in getting these pictures. life always gets in the way of fun!

Here is pictures of the back as well as the bottom. It feels like it is plaster. IMG_66311.jpg IMG_66302.jpg

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

lauragarnet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted