Horn part whatsit and some mouth pieces.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, Sep 3, 2017.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Friend has this horn part and has not been able to identify. About 5" x 3" with 1/2" diameter tubing. The arrow thing will turn to either A or B with a quarter turn. The back side opens but all you see is the end of the shaft of the turn mechanism flush to a solid metal surround. No markings other than the number 36 in two places.

horn.jpg horn2.jpg horn3.jpg

The two mouth pieces were found with it. The larger one reads Zottola Port Chester New York. Also has 96A with a Z underneath. Found some basic info on the maker and a couple similar on ebay. The smaller one reads J. Parduba and Sons New York. It also has Double Cup with the number 6 flanked by two stars underneath. It also bears a patent #2018738. I am finding similar mouthpieces on ebay but no clear designation about type of instrument.... or are the mouth pieces interchangeable somewhat?

horn4.jpg

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The mouth pieces may not belong to the horn piece.....

The shape of the mouthpiece - the mouthpiece of the trumpet, trombone and tuba are cup shaped, while the french horn is cone shaped

3. komokwa

I'm thinking trumpet or trombone

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing trombone, but I could be blowing hot air.

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Trumpet (left) and French horn (right), the other thing is a spit valve from a brass instrument but don't recognize which one (as a band geek it puzzles me)

verybrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. komokwa

I see the round disc's on the french horn......but the tubing is all rounded.

I looked at trombones & trumpets for 20 minutes...& while amazed at the array of different models...couldn't match the valve section......
    We need a music store......
    There used to be a guy on the eBlech boards who kinew brass wind instruments....
    but that was long ago.....

verybrad, Ghopper1924 and AJefferson like this.
  7. AJefferson

Yeah I know! :arghh::arghh: It looks like it has possibly a rotary valve on there. It is definitely not common on any of these: trumpet, tuba, trombone, french horn (concert or marching) euphonium, mellaphone, bugle, baritone horn, tenor horn, cornet, saxhorn ... It's kinda driving me crazy :nailbiting::meh::wideyed::wacky::p

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. komokwa

Bugger...yes....I'm now stuck on a rotary valve trumpet.....buuuuuut......I've yet to match it up.....

verybrad and AJefferson like this.
  9. AJefferson

10. komokwa

OH YUPPERS.......that;s close enough......GOOD FIND !!!!!!!

You may have just earned your street cred here !!!!!..:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:
    As well , as a Badge for meritus Research....!!!!!!
    :woot::woot::woot:....:playful::playful::playful:......:happy::happy::happy:.....:joyful::joyful::joyful:.....:D:D:D......;)

( I was going half blind looking at brass tubes..!! :(..)

11. AJefferson

verybrad likes this.
  12. AJefferson

Thanks Komokwa!! :D A badge and everything :pompous: :shame: ... I had to find out, it was driving me crazy:wacky:. I think I've seen so many that I'm going to dream about trumpets tonight :yawn::yawn::yawn: ...

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

I'm all twisted up in Not's....
    Not this one...Not that one....no Not that either.......

Thanks for your efforts !!!!

AJefferson likes this.
  14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Great research. Thanks much. Looks like the valve with indicator controls pitch?

AJefferson likes this.
  15. AJefferson

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: good one!

16. AJefferson

Np :happy:, and yep;).

17. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I'm not much on wind instruments, but I've seen trumpets that had a spare tubing section similar to that shown; put one in, your trumpet is in Bb; put the other one in, you have a trumpet in A. The rotary valve could do the same thing.
    It would seem more likely to misplace a spare tubing section than to misplace a necessary part of the instrument, leaving the instrument itself incomplete.

AJefferson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted