HORSE-DRAWN HEARSE AT AUCTION- NUFFER & LIPPE, MAKERS

Discussion in 'Auctions' started by Darkwing Manor, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

EBAY https://www.ebay.com/itm/124769513389
    $9000 to open
    Offered at auction is this restored mid-19th century horse-drawn hearse. The maker has been attributed to Nuffer and Lippe of New York, based on a catalog illustration published in Horse-Drawn Funeral Vehicles by Michael D’Amato, 2004; and a matching hearse found in the collection of Museum Village, Monroe, NY.

The carriage is full-sized, measuring 156” L from the front tree ring to the handle on the back door, not including the removeable hitches. The width is 70.5” from the outside to outside of the wheel hubs, and approx. 81” H. It features some original curved front and back panel glass, curved molded trim, original brass hardware, intricate fabric interior lining, brass coffin rollers, original brass side rails, flower vases and owner’s plaque, two brass oil lanterns, upholstered leather seat cushion and boot cover. Also included are rubber-rimmed wheels, a single sulky hitch and a double-tree hitch and tongue for driving use.

Provenance: The original owners were the Falconer Brothers Undertakers of New Market, Frederick County, Maryland; in business during the American Civil War. The company’s original brass name plaques were discovered hidden under the coffin bed during restoration and have been placed back in their original location. New Market is only 11 miles from the battle of Monocacy and 10 miles from Frederick, MD. Several of the Falconer men served in the Confederate Army and were documented slave owners. The hearse was later owned by the Rohr Museum, a private vehicle collection in Manassas, VA and was acquired by Darkwing Manor at auction in 1998. In 1999, the hearse was damaged in a hit-and-run incident and sent for a two-year $10,000 restoration at Lloyd’s Harness and Carriage Shop in Earlysville, VA. The first set of photos show the hearse as it appeared after the restoration. Used only seasonally as a static prop, the hearse has been stored for many years in a covered building.

Condition- The body, glass, wheels, doors, hardware, trees, and undercarriage frame are all sound and functioning. The current condition is very good except for the paint. The black automotive paint applied during the 2000 restoration is failing on some of the body edges, wheel spokes, and trees. There is a large scratch (5.5” L x .5” W x 3/8th” D) and two gouges (1.5” L x .75” W x .25” D) on the underside of the driver’s foot boards when there was a slight mishap with the kingpin during trailering. One of the side glass panels is original but has a small area of light scratching from the accident. The interior textile trim is very ornate but not original. The two brass lanterns have been modified to accommodate the mounted lantern posts. The bumper stops for securing the coffin are absent. The brass accent tip on one of the buggy shafts (for a single horse hitch) is missing

Please see the later close-up photos for the current condition of the paint and the scratch damage. More photos and research documents available upon request.

Local pickup only, very near I-5 in Medford, Oregon. Shipping is not included in the sale price, but we will be happy to work with any transport company the buyer engages.
    DSC00007.JPG DSC00012.JPG DSC00011.JPG DSC00019.JPG Nuffer and Lippe.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Creepy yet gorgeous! I wish you the very best of luck .

bercrystal, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Too large for my Some-Day-To-Be-Ashes!!!!! But it IS Beautiful!!! GOOD LUCK with the sale!!! I hope whoever buys it will continue with it's conservation!! It's too nice to lose..........!

Bronwen, judy and Darkwing Manor like this.
  4. Darkwing Manor

Thank you!

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Darkwing Manor

Thank you!

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That is really something, Darkwing!

judy, Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I read you were closing down. Must be hard to part with this fascinating piece.

judy, Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

For some reason.... I love it!
    And I'd love to have my little urn of ashes clopped through the streets in that.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've added it to my watchlist. Not going to bid, but I hope to see a good result!

If it sells you might have to change your avatar, though. :(

10. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

That's what I want to go in but mine would have a hinge at the back so they can lift up the front and I slide out of the coffin into my grave. A nice efficient natural burial.:bag::bag:

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Market for those is dead, I hear.

12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Be careful, you just may summon something... ghostmailable.jpg

Figtree3, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted