How best to transform this furniture to different one?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bulma, Apr 13, 2020.

1. bulma

bulma New Member

Hello,

Just take a look at this furniture. I need only the lower part, is there any way to cut off the upper part nicely? I know its a nice piece of furniture and I shouldn't cut any part, but just let's imagine you need to do it, how you would do it to make the finish as nice as possible?

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe cut it off a couple of inches above the counter so that you can finish the cut edges and have something like a small gallery running around 3 sides. Trying to make everything flush will be a bear. You'll probably have to refinish the counter top anyhow once that cupboard bit to the right is removed. Nice bit of MCM design, but it looks mass produced to me. You could be looking at very thin veneers that won't take a lot of refinishing. Just be prepared.

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

What a shame.
    Mid Century Modern, looks like teak.
    This furniture actually has a market in the metro areas.

If you have to do it.
    What more said about cutting above the top, giving a rail.

4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Why not sell it and use the proceeds to buy what you want this one to be?

5. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Knows very little about MCM but sawing it in half destroys any value for sure.
    I 'd say sell it as is like suggested above would be smart way to go, use proceeds to buy what you want, a credenza.

kyratango, Houseful and Bakersgma like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

All of the abvove. If veneer, you will never get a clean cut without a very good (expensive) saw blade and some expertise. It will shatter and peel at the edges of the cut. If solid, you will still have places where the cupboard on the right is attached that will leave holes/blemishes. You would also need to do something across the back where the plywood backing is. Even in my semi-rural Midwest location, this would be worth around $600.00. I could see value of $1000.00, give or take, in a better location. Sell it and buy what you really want.

8. flipper

9. bulma

bulma New Member

Yes, I understand that it's not a good idea to cut the top. The main issue is that I am living in a small Europe country where nobody would buy for a high price. I got it for $80 and now not sure what to do. I am searching for ONLY the bottom part like a few months now without any luck and I am tempted to try just cut the upper part, but on the other hand I don't want to destroy the value of this item.

I also can't buy any furniture overseas because the shipping would cost a lot.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  10. flipper

What country are you in?
    Maybe there is a way to find something there?

11. bulma

bulma New Member

I am from Latvia and in a few months of searching I found like 5 vintage furniture and all of them are pretty bad, this one is nice, but I need without the top, so....

12. flipper

bulma likes this.
  13. bulma

bulma New Member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  14. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Agree with everyone who's saying don't mess with it. If the top was destroyed then by all means go for it to make it usable. But it is all there in good shape and you will not be able to make it look right.
    You already posted a similar piece you own that should be everything you need: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/n...n-about-commode-renovation-and-upgrade.46677/
    Hopefully you left that in the condition it was (though you wanted to "improve" that one also); in which case why are you looking for another?
    [​IMG]

If you feel the need to attack and modify a piece of furniture, why not go after the pieces you posted that have no value and that can only be improved by reworking and painting: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/any-idea-how-much-this-vintage-furniture-is-worth.42493/
    [​IMG]

Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted