Featured How Can a Watch Worth $100 in 1841 be Worth 250k Today?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by James Conrad, Jul 25, 2019.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Poe fan! So jealous, but this is SO COOL! Congratulations to the rich Poe collector!!!

Nice to see some prices exceeding the expected, but of course this is the top of the tree stuff, pretty much immune from the market vagaries that the rest of us face.

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

To be fair - $100 in 1841 would've been a buttload of money...

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  5. James Conrad

True but, the value of this watch today is only worth $1000-$2000 tops so the article says. Clearly the value here is ALL about who owned it.

kyratango, Shwikman, judy and 7 others like this.
  6. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Really a stunning watch, whoever owned it @James Conrad!

What a great dial/face :)

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Later, I'll show you one that went for 6 million pounds at auction in London:rolleyes:

kyratango, pearlsnblume, judy and 6 others like this.
  8. James Conrad

Yes, time pieces/watches can get pricey in a hurry, no doubt. Interesting that this one was not at a "watch" type auction.

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Depending on their "chain of evidence",the watch could have been engraved with the name at a later date for bragging rights by an owner in 1901.Someone paid cash for the engraving and no evidence ever existed....

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  10. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

F.D.R.s $200. Crawford chronograph sold for $440,000. plus a $92,000 buyers premium.

11. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Information about JFK's watch can be found in the book : "The Inheritance" by Chris Fulton. It's something beyond money... :blackalien:

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and James Conrad like this.
  13. James Conrad

14. James Conrad

Tried to imbed video above from recent Sotheby's sale, DIDN'T WORK! some incredible watches, it's obvious some folks take timepieces VERY SERIOUSLY!

kyratango and cxgirl like this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

cxgirl and James Conrad like this.
  16. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

It all goes to show that realized prices are so often not about the actual item itself, but who may have owned it. Provenance of objects is becoming more sketchy as time goes by - there is so much money to be made, folks get very creative with documents...museums and auction houses are fooled often. In the 90's I met a person who had been convicted of creating documents for high end art provenance of faked paintings - he spent seven years in prison. Claimed he knew a dozen people who made their living doing this in the 60's -70's in New York city.
    Of course there are plenty of authentic antiques with real documentation of past ownership - but I never understood folks paying obscene amounts of money for them. If someone famous handed me something of theirs, I'd cherish it and sleep well knowing it's history.

cxgirl likes this.
  17. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

I think “important” watches like this hit that special spot. They were touched/worn/used every day and in this type of context they probably just had the one.
    Also, watch collectors are a crazy bunch!

cxgirl and James Conrad like this.
  18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, I love that show:)

20. James Conrad

I had never seen that but it was dead funny!
    And yes, timepieces can & do go for INSANE amounts of money, almost as nutty as old furniture people!

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted