Featured How do I describe the appendage on these earrings?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gauntlettgems, Jan 26, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

198C50F9-BB96-4E1D-AEAF-8EDAC9CA4FA0_1_201_a.jpeg 1E410FBC-6005-4041-B0E1-0B99ACB5E6AE_1_201_a.jpeg 289810FB-244B-42D7-87F4-5F9BC359DA24_1_201_a.jpeg

I think these are of a nicer quality but I do not know how to describe the little dangle for the upper ear They are a nice weight and might even be Rhodium plated Such a shame they are not marked Does anyone have any wild guesses as to who the maker is? what era? I was thinking 50's Keywords for description, please.

TYIA

cxgirl, Lucille.b, Joan and 5 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Backs look newer than the 50s, may be fairly recent.

Bells? Hooped skirts? Crinolines? Pine trees?

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I've never seen similar clips and I've seen a lot of clip earrings!

Maybe it was a style ahead of its time that didn't catch on, or possible these are newer (but have to say the overall look of the rhinestones, etc sure looks vintage.)

Maybe someone else will have a clue.

4. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

They appear to be shaped like tassels.

5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Beautiful earrings. I don't know if there's a specific name for the upper dangle (maybe staggered dangle?), but if you're planning to sell the earrings, I think it would be more important to include the words "invisible (or invisibly) set tapered baguettes" (at least I don't see any prongs or beads holding them in but I could be wrong).

Trifari jewelry with invisible set rhinestones (created when Alfred Philippe was head designer) is especially prized. It is also referred to as waffle glass (when the rhinestones are square) and was made by Trifari and other companies (signed and unsigned) into the 1960s -- not sure if that type of setting was used much in costume jewelry beyond the 60s. I sold a Trifari brooch with invisible set tapered baguette rhinestones, but could see that three stones were molded as one piece, while yours all seem to be individually set. In any case it must have been especially tricky to design and set tapered baguettes around curved surfaces of slightly different sizes like your earrings.

6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Set with tapered rhinestones baguettes :)

judy, komokwa, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Great descriptors here. I like Joan's idea "upper dangle", too. The unusual thing about these is that bangle that sits high, looks like it would rest about 1/2 way up the ear when worn. Maybe combine the words suggested somehow.

I have a hard time selling clips, unless they are from a designer like Haskell or Shreiner, but these are pretty and do seem to have some quality. I wonder if they could be connected to someone. That upper dangle might be a clue?

8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

What a cool pair of earrings! I've never seen such a thing either. They look 50ish to me also. I think I'd have to call them "tassels"...

Darling pair of rhinestone double tassel earrings. Each earring has a 1" (or whatever) free swinging tassel on the bottom; but has a second smaller free swinging tassel further up. Catches the light!

Fun pieces! Leslie

gauntlettgems, judy and kyratango like this.
  9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

See some described as ear climbers.

gauntlettgems and judy like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given scale, I wouldn't be surprised if they were 1980s.

Debora

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, my thought too, especially given how shiny the backs are. I'd have grabbed those.

kyratango likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Quite a statement piece. Too bad they're not signed.

Debora

gauntlettgems and kyratango like this.
  13. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

I actually have a similar pair to these (was hoping to show them to you, but after looking in a dozen or so boxes without any luck, I gave up) ... not with dangles, but with a wing-like appendage swooping out from the back of the clip. I've never been able to find out what they were called or even if there was a name for that style at all.
    I was able to find these earrings which sold on RubyLane - may have to scroll down to see description of them.
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/653379-KGM3037/Vintage-Boucher-Clip-Rhinestone-Earrings-Wing

gauntlettgems and kyratango like this.
  14. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Thank you I have been so perplexed!!

@quirkygirl

Sheesh! Now I know what my photos look like when they are too dark I had to go to the big screen to see the wing

15. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

gauntlettgems likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted