How do I remove sticker

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Hayley91, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

F442D39E-9226-4715-BB46-0D12C6C9FB4F.jpeg Hi I wondered if anyone knew how I could get the white label off the box in the right hand corner?

I’m worried I’ll damage the paper/cardboard box. Thank you

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wouldn't worry about it. Old boxes pick up labels. Do you have any reason to think it's covering any info?

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I agree, just let it be. I have sold many items with old labels on them.

4. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

No I don’t think there’s anything under the sticker. How should I store it? I’ve never had boxes before.

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Avoid moisture & putting it under something that would crush it I suppose. ;)

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Store it someplace out of the light, and dry.

What do you want to do with it? Is it just the box?

7. Hayley91

Hayley91 Member

Inside the box is the cards, instructions and wooden blocks. Whenever I see something that looks old but not too expensive I buy it and go home to google it’s history etc. I have bad health so all the bits I’ve collected keep me in my happy place. So I like to make sure I store them properly to prevent them getting damaged.

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I do much the same.

Hayley91 and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I use Un-du to remove new stickers and new price tags from my ephemera.

Hayley91, bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Use a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive and a credit card to gently pry the sticker away. Go slowly. Rubbing alcohol is good for removing any bits left behind.

11. pearlsnblume

well I learned some new stuff here today.

Aquitaine and Hayley91 like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Useful information for work that needs to be done, but if it doesn't need to be done, why take the chance?

13. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

Who determines whether or not anything needs to be done? Certainly not me, imho it's 100% up to the individual. I was simply answering a question.

14. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I've found that Goo Gone works wonders. Just put in on over the sticker you want to take off, leave it for an hour or so, and the sticker will peel right off. Plus when the Goo Gone dries, it doesn't leave a mark. (I don't know if there will be damage that will show up in 50 years or so. however, if that is a concern.)

I've also found the original version in the bottle works better, for me, than the spray gell.

(You can do a trial run on something that doesn't matter, first, if you feel like it.)

15. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I have found that Goo Gone leaves an oily mark on paper or cardboard unless it has a glossy finish.

Linda

Hayley91 and Darkwing Manor like this.
  16. pearlsnblume

I can't tolerate the smell of Goo Gone.

Hayley91 likes this.
  17. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Traditionally, they adviced to use an eraser to remove (that is destroy) the paper part of the label and then deal with the glue on a how-bad-it-is basis, but the blowdryer/credit card thing sounds, uh, sound.

pearlsnblume and Hayley91 like this.
  18. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

From the Curator's Desk- Acidic surfaces will eventually interact with the paper. You can purchase archival tissue paper and boxes at the local hobby store. I would suggest storing it with at least one layer of acid-free tissue around it, and as @moreotherstuff said, in a cool, dark, dry place where the temperature doesn't fluctuate. if you really want to protect it, use archival tissue around the items inside as well.
    I would leave the sticker as part of the provenance. I have also found GooGone to leave an oily residue and would not recommend it for paper.

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've enjoyed reading all of the suggestions here.

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

The stickers can be part of the history if the original sticker giving original price.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted