Featured HOW DO I TELL AGE AND/OR COUNTRY WHO MADE OLD COPPER POTS/CAULDRONS?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Nov 19, 2017.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these in a storage unit won at auction. They had a antique tag with country of origin & England circled, but the only choices were England or France so maybe that's not true.
    I know the ones made in France are the most desirable, but if there are no markings how do you tell?
    Also, can anyone tell the age? They have a weird overlapping copper strip by the handles - does that tell you anything?
    Also, the ends of the handles look like meat hooks! Why would they make them so sharp - does it serve a purpose?
    As always I appreciate any help!
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY COPPER CAULDRON 1A_AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY COPPER CAULDRON 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY COPPER CAULDRON 2AAA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY COPPER CAULDRON 3AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY COPPER CAULDRON 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY COPPER CAULDRON 4AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY COPPER CAULDRON 5AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY COPPER CAULDRON 6AA.jpg

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I, for one REALLY like them!! But don't know country of origin. As to the extra strapping, I would think it's there to support the swing handles (that I REALLY LIKE)....which are substantial in themselves....looks like those pots could hold a substantial amount, although you didn't give a size....is that a hole I see in the side of the smaller pot?? They do have a well worn hammered look to them.....I'm just guessing here, but I might say early 1800's or earlier........now watch....I'll be so far off I'll need to be slapped down!!!!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

My gut tells me 20th C. For both. Looking at the more extensive pitting on handle of larger one, it is probably the older. If I had to bet on origin, I’d say Belgium. These are all WAG so don’t ask me to prove it, I can’t.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BTW, I just finished reading my November, '17 Maine Antique Digest....this article was in it: (maybe you can glean some info from it!!!)

zCopperPots-A.jpg

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Fauxtiques. 1970s. Turkey or India.

6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted