Featured HOW DO I TELL IF CHUNKY TURQUOISE IS REAL OR COSTUME?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by journeymagazine, Jan 7, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this in a box of mostly costume jewelry my mom left me.
    How do I tell if these are real turquoise and not costume?
    There is no marks or 925 numbers on the clasp or anywhere else that I can find - and I want to be sure how to check if they're real - I heard you stick a hot pin in one & smell it? But I don't know if that's for turquoise?
    Did they make turquoise necklaces without the chain/necklace being silver?
    Thank you!

JEWELRY NECKLACE TURQUOISE CHUNKY 1AA.JPG JEWELRY NECKLACE TURQUOISE CHUNKY 2AA.JPG JEWELRY NECKLACE TURQUOISE CHUNKY 2AAA.JPG JEWELRY NECKLACE TURQUOISE CHUNKY 3AA.JPG JEWELRY NECKLACE TURQUOISE CHUNKY 4AA.JPG JEWELRY NECKLACE TURQUOISE CHUNKY 5AA.JPG

KSW, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No hot pins!

Debora

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It could be dyed howlite/magnesite or resin stabilized turquoise.

Figtree3, Kathy Anderson, KSW and 5 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

With that black veining, I'd bet they've been messed with somehow.

KSW and PortableTreasures like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Look at the holes in the beads especially if the edges has some wear. Dyed howlite will be white. Look closely to see if any dye has settled into the cracks. I found a dyed marble necklace once that closely resembled turquoise. When I looked up the maker, it turned out he was known for his dyed marble pieces. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am in complete agreement with Debora. NEVER EVER USE THE HOT PIN on anything EVER. I have treated some horrible burns from people sticking hot pins into celluloid and other stuff.
    greg

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. journeymagazine

ok no hot pins!

KSW, kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

My first thought was howlite too and that’s reinforced by the non silver beads.

Still attractive and salable at a price.

9. journeymagazine

Here is another one I found that I like - it's got that primitive look, but the end of the necklace & clasp with possibly any maker's mark or name is missing. Any ideas if this is a "good" piece?

JEWELRY NECKLACE COMB METAL AND STONE 1AA.JPG JEWELRY NECKLACE COMB METAL AND STONE 2AA.JPG JEWELRY NECKLACE COMB METAL AND STONE 3AA.JPG

Figtree3, KSW, judy and 1 other person like this.
  10. journeymagazine

Also these - but they are marked; Dian Malouf 925 & 14kt
    Cool earrings!

JEWELRY EARRINGS LEOPARD DIAN MALOUF 1AA.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS LEOPARD DIAN MALOUF 3AA.JPG JEWELRY EARRINGS LEOPARD DIAN MALOUF 2AA.JPG

Figtree3, Xristina, KSW and 4 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That necklace is total 70s modernist. No idea whodunnit, if it was ever marked.

The leopards are total late 80s, but as a cat freak I'd wear them in a heartbeat. The designer is still active.

From her website: Known for bold silver and gold jewelry enlivened by diamonds and vivid semiprecious stones, Dian Malouf is one of the few fine jewelry designers whose work is instantly recognizable. Dian has designed over 10,000 pieces since the very first silver dome ring that she made for herself, which launched the business by popular demand in 1986. Many are one-of-a-kind pieces prized by collectors. Dian Malouf designs are sold by top specialty stores and discerning jewelers. Dian's Jewelry is made in the USA.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...341&_odkw=dian+malouf&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

12. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Love the earrings!!!

KSW, judy and kyratango like this.
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Love the Malouf’s too. One of my favorite earrings are a pair of Dian’s in silver and turquoise with 14K bezels. I bought them in the 90s at Neiman’s.

KSW, judy and kyratango like this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Getting back to the original necklace, fake Chinese turquoise can't be ruled out:

http://www.ddgnevada.com/wood/fake/fakechineserock.html

The metal parts give it the general look of Native American work, but it's easily faked & you would expect some marks if it were genuine, at least something to indicate sterling. Not that you might not find fake Chinese turquoise used in genuine NA work.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree with both.
    The fancy name of dyed howlite is turquenite, but that is just to make people believe it is some sort of turquoise.
    Aside from the fact that you should never stick a hot pin in anything, I am puzzled as to how they would stick a hot pin in stone.:confused:

reader, Xristina, KSW and 2 others like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The real question seems to be how to tell dyed howlite from fake Chinese turquoise.

17. Any Jewelry

I think they are one and the same. It says in the link you provided, where they talk about the toilet cleaner: "Cleans Toilets and Dyes Howlite too!"

18. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Every day a new skill learned :hilarious:

19. Any Jewelry

And you thought it couldn't get any better after testing with a UV light in a dark closet.:D
    Although your Tokyo sewer pendant is pretty difficult to beat.:hilarious:

reader, Bronwen, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ah, the infamous ‘poo’ pendant thread.
    It is still in my hoard as I’m at a total loss as to what to do with it.
    It’s being given a run for its money by Ashley’s weird ‘things’ in a pendant at the moment though.

Bronwen, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted