HOW DO I TELL IF IT'S A ORIGINAL (1930s ish) OR A NEW LOUIS ICART PRINT?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 1, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this Icart print today at my local thrift store, it is stamped Le Panier de Pommes by Louis Icart, Published by Morris & Bendien.

I found a similar one - titled Young Girl With Apple Basket on Ruby Lane that is the same size (14 1/2" x 18") as mine, and is described as:

original old paper etching print "Le Panier De Pommes," by Louis Icart and Published by Morris & Bendien, Inc., New York.

Is mine an original old paper etching/print or a modern reprint - since the size is the same (don't know any other way to tell difference)?

It also has the raised edge around it where plate was pressed into paper; it's not just a copy/litho.

Thanks, I appreciate any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT ICARTE 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT ICARTE 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT ICARTE 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT ICARTE 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PRINT ICARTE 5AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm betting it's original; just the frame is newer. I'm guessing some gentleman had this on a wall somewhere.

The lady is...perky looking.(LOL)

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I think the message is that her breasts are firm and ripe like fresh picked apples.....& I'd agree with Louis........:rolleyes:

Oh ya...& dots.....so .. a print.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Looks to be a modern print. Edge on paper looks to be pretty white still with no sign of age. Probably just for decorationall use

6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Also I zoomed in on of your images and you can clearly see dots

7. journeymagazine

I know it's a print - how do you tell if old or new; or can you without taking it out of glass & frame?

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

O T M !!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::happy::happy::happy:

Msalicia, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

You'll have to drill down into the company history....seems they made a lot of prints in the early 1900's......

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is not for educational use?:angelic:

judy and komokwa like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Perhaps an apple pie recipe? Or more likely apple sauce!

judy and Msalicia like this.
  12. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

I think that people actually are trying to tell you that it is a reproduction rather than an original etching

13. journeymagazine

If it has the raised edge where plate was pressed into the paper rather than just a smooth surface like a new litho/print, does that not indicate age? (asking because there is a big difference in value!)

judy likes this.
  14. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

This is an offset litho..the valuable Icarts are the etchings which are usually hand signed. 154.jpg

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A plate mark is not a guarantee that a print is old, nor is it a guarantee that a print is an etching or engraving. Your print looks to me like a photo-mechanical reproduction (because of the dot matrix patterning) with a decorative plate mark added for a touch more "realism". I think that in this context the plate mark is just a bit of added embossing and has nothing to do with the printing of the image.

16. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

What does OTM mean? I’m getting a grasp on “Antiques’s lingo” slowly but surely, and it’s early for me here, not enough coffee to think that fast so could you fill me in please? The faces indicate funny.

17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think it usually means on the money but could be something else.

lloyd249, judy and i need help like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Google tells me it is Oman Travel Market, and as we know, google is always right.:joyful:

judy, i need help and reader like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Urban Dictionary says
    “Owning the Moment“
    Investopedia says
    “Out of the Money”
    :hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted