How Much is This Signed Oil Painting Worth, Who Is The Artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Antiqueguy19001, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Antiqueguy19001

Antiqueguy19001 New Member

Someone was throwing away this beautiful oil painting, and I was able to grab it. It is a little over 40" by 30" including the frame. I have no clue who the artist is, though it is signed G.W. Paul. Does anyone have any idea who this may be, probably an NH painter? On the back is 1980's price sticker from a nearby art studio. I sent an email to the art studio,which is still around, asking who this painting is by, and the only email I got back was, "Are you interested in selling this piece". I asked what their offer was, and they said $100. I'm now wondering what this piece is worth, and if $100 would be a fair offer for it. What would you appraise it at?

Also, based on the canvas, it probably is no older than the 1940's or 1950's. Probably also done by an NH painter, considering that's where I found it, and where the studio is located.

art1.png art2.png

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

wait a bit till people may come in that know the Alps. looks like Switzerland/Bavaria/Austria.

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Well, it's an Alpine scene, not NH, and it looks a lot like a sofa painting. Very typical of those is the frame with the linen insert. Can you show the sticker?

judy, antidiem, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  4. Antiqueguy19001

The same studio is now offering me $100, twice what they originally sold it for, $53.50 I believe. There are 4 completely identical price stickers on the back on the frame, this is just the one in the best condition.
    art2.png

antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Antiqueguy19001

I think you are right. It definitely looks a lot more like the Alpines than NH, probably just sold in NH and painted elsewhere.

judy, antidiem and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Well, if the studio is offering to buy it back, can they give you more information on it? Is that in Pelham?

7. Antiqueguy19001

Yup, it's in Pelham. They didn't give me any information, they just responded to my question of who painted it with, "Are you interested in selling this piece?".

cxgirl, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id jump on their offer with both feet personally. Its "tourist" art,in my humble opinion.

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with JohnnyCB09, if you want to sell it easily - take their offer! :cat:

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ask em for $ 125 ....& take the $$$ and run..

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy likes this.
  13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

What Toomanybooks said!!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im sorry,but that painting is NOT some valuable 19th century work of art.Doesnt hurt to dream though. :)

15. i need help

I don’t know enough to weigh in on this painting, but personally as a rule, if I can’t I.D. It, I keep it. But maybe that’s why I have so many things. :hilarious::confused:

JayBee, antidiem, judy and 6 others like this.
  16. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

You are probably right, but it would still be nice to know a bit more before selling. I just wonder why the gallery was so quick to make an offer. They must think it is worth at least $200 if they think they can make a profit. Then again, a bird in the hand.........

I just looked at their website - maybe they just want to hang it on their wall as an example of local art, in which case - sell it!

17. i need help

Nothing wrong with looking out for a fellow antiquer! As long as there is no urgency to sell, it’s good to be thorough. ;)

18. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm totally with @johnnycb09 on this one, but you are 100% right -- no reason not to be thorough.

19. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They probably do think it's worth $200. Maybe more. But they're in a position to sell it. Are you?

It doesn't look to me like factory art, but not much advanced beyond it. I would guess it's an autograph piece (by an individual).

Maybe you should take an anonymous peek at the gallery. See what they sell. See what they charge.

20. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Found an American artist by the name GREGORY WILMER PAUL........wanted me to sign up to get his bio, but it may help in your search.

antidiem, judy, Fid and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted