How old is this Bristol vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Armando0831, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg I got this at the Goodwill and the cashier said I was quick about getting the vase. She said that they had just put that out on the floor. I was wondering about when this was made. Thanks for the help.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Bristol. Possibly English this time, from shape, colour and painted decoration. Any time from the late 19th to 1930s.

3. Armando0831

What makes it not Bristol?

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,
    What we call Bristol is not what the Brit's call Bristol. To Bear it had to have been made in Bristol to be called Bristol. What we call Bristol should really be called Bristol style. Over here it has been "lumped" together for so many years it has become acceptable over here.
    greg

5. Armando0831

you can disregard that first reply. I just realized the answer was in your first posting. I'm still waking up. Thank you.

6. Armando0831

I need to do a lot of reading about pottery, glass and such.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Spot on, Greg. ;)

Armando, reading is good, but so too is simply handling and looking at as much Stuff as you can. Museums, antique malls, fairs, whatever.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

There is a small book on Bristol by John Bedford. I would not hunt for it but if you stumble accross it it s worth a read.

Draft saved Draft deleted