How old is this Chinese vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by chantaljones, Oct 10, 2020.

1. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

I can buy this Chinese vase but the seller can't tell me much about it.

I think this is called Flambe ? I did see these before in colors blue and red but rarely seen one in green. And it's a fairly large piece. He's asking £200. Is that a deal or is it to much? It does have a old repair.

I also find that it has a unusual foot rim. Is it maybe fake or a repro?

These are the pictures from the seller.

20201010_182326.jpg 20201010_183510.jpg 20201010_183442.jpg 20201010_183454.jpg 20201010_183449.jpg 20201010_183606.jpg 20201010_183502.jpg 20201010_183518.jpg 20201010_183521.jpg 20201010_183541.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if he want's 200 pounds...........he either knows something.....or is looking for a sucker !

3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It looks a very nice piece but that restoration is not very well done and I would only buy it if I really loved it.

chantaljones likes this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Knee jerk is newish. That foot rim is odd,almost like there was a base to it. I wouldnt buy anything from a private seller that high unless I knew for sure what it was.

5. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

not chinese and not antique. it look like its molded

chantaljones, aaroncab and Bakersgma like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

If a seller is asking 200 dollars for a item he has no idea on what he has thats a big red flag. I wouldn't even bother.

7. MR Treasure Hunter

MR Treasure Hunter Well-Known Member

I'd say it looks early 20th century, probably worth about 5 pounds, maybe 10.

200 quid is a rip off.

Maybe the seller is one of those people who thinks because something has a bit of age to it that it must be worth a bit money.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    chantaljones likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That is something that has always bothered me, how can you accurately price an item when you don't have a clue what it is? Of course, sometimes that works for all of us, but really, pick a price and description out of a hat?

I was at an antique show, saw a bracelet tangled in a pile of stuff in a case (talk about red flag) and asked about it. The dealer told me the price, said the stones were amber and said "I think it's silver".

Well, the stones were dragon's breath (man-made glass, not amber), the metal wasn't marked and he had not tested it. A lot of dragon's breath jewelry is set in costume metal. I am sure he priced it based on what he paid, but really? I expect more of a dealer at an antique show.

Sorry to go off on a tangent :sorry:

9. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the comments. I will stay away from it.

MR Treasure Hunter and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted