Featured How old is this Keris or kris?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lark, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I had posted a thread on my two Keris handles. AJ was trying to find a picture of the "Keris cup " when suddenly I realized I had a complete Keris that I was going to post for information that my father gave me nearly 40 years ago. I actually found it! 22" I never really looked closely at the "cup" but it is embedded with rough cut clear stones. They test as glass. Curious how old this one is And what is the character design on the handle.

kris w1.jpg kris w2.jpg kris w3.jpg krisw 4.jpg krisw5.jpg krisw6.jpg krisw7.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is the hilt ring, 'mendak', not the cup, 'selut'.
    The mendak is a ring between the keris and the hilt, the selut sits on top of the mendak and encloses the base of the hilt. Not all hilts have a selut, but all should have a mendak, the ring.

I'm off for dinner, but will be back. This is another interesting one.:)

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice !!!!!!
    Dad had good taste !!

Potteryplease, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Yes he did. He was also very knowledgeable. Through out my life most of our conversations were history or scientific in nature or lots of family history stories. I am unfortunately a very visual learner . I remember the gist of what he said but not the dates and names.

kyratango, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

that's what paper & pencil were made for.........;)..:playful::playful::playful::playful:

Bronwen likes this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

No you don't understand - it was constant!

7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

The one Kris has a brass shaped betel nut crusher has a brass cup shaped piece on the end right before where the hilt would be.

8. Any Jewelry

Have you tried if the Nara Singa hilt fits in the cup?
    Could you show the keris?

9. Any Jewelry

The keris you posted here is a Keris Pasisiran, from the 'Pasisir' or 'beachlands' along the north coast of Java.
    The keris itself (blade) is of the region. I will go into the symbolism another day, my energy is low, and can't find my thinking cap.;)

The sheath is a wonderful 'gandar iras', which means carved from a single piece of wood. Most are made of two. Gandar iras means the keris inside was valued.

The hilt is a classic Pasisiran Ganesha hilt. Ganesha is the Hindu elephant God, and you have to really look to recognize an elephant. But it has the large head, two clear ear shapes, and if you look at it from the side you can see a curl, which is the trunk. This stylisation developed over several centuries.

The mendak or hilt ring is of the "kendit' or belt type. It has a 'belt' of stones, glass in this case. This particular one is the version from Solo or Surakarta, which is used elsewhere as well.
    It is worth cleaning the hilt ring. Not only will it look much better, but the tarnish and grime can damage the metal. If you can't get the hilt off, you can start by cleaning the mendak with some alcohol on a q-tip or cotton bud.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Iouri and komokwa like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Example of a mendak and selut on the Madurese hilt below.

The mendak or hilt ring is at the bottom, the bit with the tiny granules. It supports the hilt and make sure the hilt doesn't touch the Keris.

The selut or hilt cup is the filigree part that sits on top of the mendak. It encloses the base of the hilt, and is mostly decorative. In this case it is has a plump, rounded shape, but it can also be straight-sided.
    You can tell if a hilt is made to have a cup, it will be more slender in the part where the cup fits over the hilt.

upload_2022-11-29_12-7-49.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your information. I am going to cut and paste and save for my grandkids. I am starting a binder with all of this info in one place. My husband and i collect old firearms. I have a special scouring pad (probably made of nickel) that does not harm bluing and I have safely used to clean my pocket knives. After looking at that complete Kris , I am wondering if I should use that with Hoppes gun cleaner to clean the blade to stop deterioration. It is being stored in a very humid climate.

I was referring to my betel nut crusher i post earlier . I see a small brass cup with straight sides. Is that the selut? IMG_20221127_130444833.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

unless AJ tells you how to clean the blade......do not touch it !!!!:eek::eek::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::stop::stop:

Got a lovely blade .... an old Keris ...from a friend who actually makes blades.....and he he cleaned , buffed and polished the blade for me....not knowing it would ruin it.

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  13. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I know that is why I posted the question. My concern is it will continue to rust. I will wait for her approval or suggestion.

komokwa likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

As you said, it is from a betel nut crusher, not a keris, so it can't be a selut.;)
    A Javanese keris is a spiritual item, and like all spiritual items, all parts are considered special and enhance the spiritual power of the whole. Hence the complex terminology.
    A betel nut crusher is more like a household object. I don't know if there is any terminology for Lombok betel nut crusher parts, but if there is one, it is more likely to be in Sasak than in Javanese.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    komokwa likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Scouring pads have no business being anywhere near keris. With a Javanese keris you are not just dealing with the colour of the 'pamor', or Damascene pattern. You are dealing with the surface texture and with the spiritual content of the keris.

Gun cleaners belong with guns, marangi with keris. I wouldn't advise you to do marangi yourself, it is sacred and toxic.
    But from what I see, your keris doesn't need anything other than oil. Not gun oil, but either keris oil or sweet scented essential oils.
    I mostly use melati oil, which is the same as Arabic Jasmine, also rose oil, sandalwood oil, and occasionally frankincense oil. For special keris I use keris oil, which has been used in a kraton (palace). I use an artist's brush to brush it on, strokes from the base to the tip.
    I don't see anything worrying right now. The oil should remove the superficial rust it has now. If it doesn't, remove the oil and rust with alcohol, and oil it again. You can oil it as often as you think is needed.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
  16. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Aj. I suspected I should not do anything but I do live in a very humid climate. I have some sandalwood oil. I will clean with alcohol first and then oil. Again thank you for your response. I had suspected it was an elephant for the handle . Once Again thank you for so many responses.

17. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thanks AJ.

18. Any Jewelry

Perfect. Your keris wil be happy.:)
    You're welcome. I still have to explain the keris blade, all in due course.;)

19. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am patient and so grateful for your help. I did do some investigating on my own from terms you used in your replies. Much more involved than I previously thought.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

It is very complicated. Symbolism on symbolism and so on.
    But as with all spiritual items, the meaning and purpose of the keris can be experienced at different levels. Not everyone needs to study a lifetime to be able to own or carry a keris.;)

The spiritual connotation is most important on Java and neighbouring Madura. But it is a valued symbol in all keris regions.

Ganapati, Potteryplease and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted