How old is this Longchamp oyster plate?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It has a back stamp, but I can't figure out how old it is. Ebay has a bunch of these, some with no mark, some with this mark, and some with two creatures leaping over some flames.
    Can anyone help? I have several of these I want to list on ebay, and I want to be abe to give an approximate date. Thanks.

smallDSCN2610.JPG

smallDSCN2613.JPG

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  2. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

There is one on etsy. Says is was made in the 50's.
    French Oysters Plate, Plates Set, Seafood, Table Centerpiece, Holiday or Restaurant Gift, Majolica, Style Longchamp, Discount on Quantity longchamp plate.jpg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Book, am assuming you might have seen this on Pinterest that came from Etsy........said 1950s..........and JUST seeing @ulilwitch beat me to it!!! AND that's ALL I saw anywhere referring to a date!!!:joyful::joyful:

OYSTER PLATE.jpg

ulilwitch, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not sure whether this will be helpful, but the woman in this video talks about some ways to identify French Vintage Oyster Plates, and she does give some ideas on how to identify dates.

Aquitaine, ulilwitch and bercrystal like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Thanks Ulilwitch and Aqui.

As I said, I found lots of these on different sites, with different stamps, or none. They all look exactly the same except for the marks, or lack thereof.
    I don't know what those sellers are basing their dating on. Mine look brand new, but I don't know if they are.

ulilwitch and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Thanks fig. That was helpful. The two oldest have incised marks. None of the three have printed marks. She said the newest one there was anywhere from the 1950s to the 1970s.
    Therefore I'm guessing that mine, and the ones with the 2 leaping creatures mark, are later than the 1970s.

ulilwitch, Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Those are scallops on your plate, is it still called an oyster plate?

ulilwitch likes this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Yes Marie - I found that a little disconcerting at first. I am assuming some people find scallops more visually appealing than oysters?

ulilwitch likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Bookahtoo, But I thought she pointed, at the very beginning and towards the END of the video, at the plate that looks the MOST like YOURS (except for her back being green, and said for a date "it is Longchamp and made anywhere from 1875 to 1900".............I LIKE THAT!!!!!:smug::smug:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    ulilwitch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted