Featured How old is this ottoman/ foot stool?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I passed by some yard sale leftovers on the curb for free and I grabbed this. The upholstery isn't original. There are massive amounts of glue in all the corners on the underside. The only nails I found were along the bottom edge where the upholstery tacks would have gone. Style? 24" long, 16" wide and 11" tall. Thank you. P1300752ps1.jpg P1300754ps1rs.jpg P1300755ps1rs.jpg P1300757ps1rs.jpg P1300761ps1rs.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't be too old with those sinuous springs. Believe they came out post-WWII.

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you! I learned something new about springs.

Christmasjoy, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sure the upholstery isn't original? Looks right era. And why would there have been upholstery tacks along the bottom? Certainly wouldn't have been skirted.

Debora

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A little research has found that the sinuous spring was first introduced in 1934..... a bit earlier than I thought. I imagine that it took awhile before they came in to general use. I always have associated it with post-war production.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't find the sloppy glue a quality feature.....

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Based on my own "learning" during my Mom's career in interior design, I seem to recall that a sinuous spring suspension is usually not used in top-of-the-line furniture, although there are occasional exceptions.

Either way, Mill Cove, the price was certainly right, and I think your ottoman has a lot of charm! Were it mine, I'd set to reupholstering it right away. I have JUST the place to put it!

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Debora, there was a piece of cloth that lined the bottom to hide the springs. I found a few small pieces of the original upholstery when I removed that piece of cloth lining from the base. I assumed the nails were from the original liner.

Komo, I think the sloppy glue was an attempt to tighten things up by the person that reupholstered it.

Thank you for the additional information on the springs Brad.

SBSVC - That's the plan. The wood needs a little TLC first.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy, judy and 4 others like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Got it. Thanks.

Debora

Christmasjoy, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think there would have been a light linen (?) covering the springs, IF I'm correct.... ergo reason for tacks along the bottom?

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What did the original upholstery look like? (And important clue in dating.)

Debora

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm looking at this thread for the first time.... since @Mill Cove Treasures didn't reply to this question I thought I'd bump it back up.

judy likes this.
  13. Mill Cove Treasures

Sorry, I must have missed the question. :shame: It was reddish in color, possibly velvet. The fabric that was left behind when it was pulled off was shredded or stringy. It had some thickness or weight to it. There wasn't enough of it left to even guess if it had a pattern.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted