Featured How old is this pin?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

If the center was glass, I would have thought 1930's and Czech but it is definitely plastic. It seems odd that the setting which is brass is so detailed but the center is plastic. I haven't tried to clean it yet but it certainly could use it. It is 1 3/4 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches tall. It has a matching ring and I included pictures of that piece also but they are not the best. DSC00805.JPG

DSC00853.JPG DSC00852.JPG DSC00816.JPG DSC00804.JPG

Vintage Maven, BMRT, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Very nice:)
    I'm pretty sure it is Chinese carved amethyst, not plastic!:cyclops:
    The bands of color and inclusions are the clue for that... What makes you think plastic is the thin depth which can change the cold feeling to the touch...

For an easy test, scratch the back with a thin needle, amethyst won't be marked!

The green navettes seems to be jadeite, but difficult to be sure as they are rather out of focus on your pics:snaphappy:;)

Are you sure it is brass? The filigree work on the brooch could be gilt silver:rolleyes:

For me, it is Chinese export around 1930!

Calling @Any Jewelry and @Hollyblue

BMRT, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

You can clean all three of your pieces,(filligree pin in other thread and these two) by putting them in a small bowl, squirting with 50-50 ammonia and water. add a drop of Dawn (blue) dishwashing detergent and swishing around. Rinse thoroughly.

DO NOT do this if jewelry contains pearls or opals.

I agree with kyra - My first thought with both of the above was Chinese roughly 1930s.
    I would not have guessed plastic. Tap it against your tooth, stone will be hard.

Bronwen, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, Lizzie. They certainly look like real stones, gilt silver and Chinese Export 20s-30s.
    Also, plastic is warm to the touch, stone and glass are cold to the touch.:)
    Or stones of organic origin other than pearls.:)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

Of course you are all right as usual. A China origin was not even on my radar. I will have to look closer at the setting once I clean the pieces. I don't even know why I didn't figure out they weren't plastic as I do know the touch/temperature test. It does feel cold if I touch it to my lips but not so cold when I use my fingertips. Once again, thank you for your help! Hope you all are having a beautiful day.

And thank you Cluttered for the cleaning advice.

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Agree. It does look a bit like plastic in the shot taken from edge on, but translucence & color shading shown in pic of back argue strongly for amethyst. The navettes look like turquoise to me. Findings are mid-century. Carved amethysts were exported & used in jewellery by western makers as well. Have to bow to others on origin of this piece.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Findings, especially clasps, are often replaced, making it difficult to date a piece.
    My mother had safety clasps put on all her antique brooches.:(

kyratango likes this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Also do not do this if you piece had foil backed rhinestones!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted