How to clean an old gold-plated sterling mesh purse?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Curioser, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I have a large antique (pre WWII) mesh purse with a gold wash/plating/finish marked "Sterling" and "Germany".

There is nearly-black oxidation in some areas, particularly along the edges.I have tried Never Dull on the frame only and I can't be sure it's done much, it seems there may be wear to the gold on the left side.

How can I clean this up without removing the gold finish? I don't need it to look brand new but since I want to sell it I have to find out first how much of the gold is intact and if there are any areas where it has worn significantly.

Thanks in advance!
    Germany_SS_mesh_purse_x.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

These chain handles are very distinctive & I have seen the name of the maker somewhere, sometime, but darned if I can remember. I have one in a different color around here somewhere. When I was looking to sell it I found many like it that did not look like they were selling.

Ah, Whiting & Davis I think is it.

https://henriettashandbags.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=17

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. Bronwen

4. Bronwen

5. Curioser

Hi@Bronwen, this is not W&D, it was made in Germany. A friend sold it to me for scrap. She said they don't go for much either.

reader, LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

When I clean silver items without using abrasion, I use household ammonia and a cotton bud.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  7. Curioser

Hmm, would that be okay to use on a gold-plated sterling purse? I hate the smell but I'll buy some it you think it's safe. Thanks!

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Depending on how heavy the tarnish is, you may not need cleaning-liquids.

I'd start with cotton balls or tissues and just a firm rubbing to remove the surface tarnish, and see what that looks like, before I try anything else.

reader and Bronwen like this.
  9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Here is a before and after on a tarnished sterling silver coin, not supposed to clean coins but this is scrap, it takes the tarnish straight off, it should not affect plating.

Have plenty of ventilation when using ammonia.

I've just done this 10 minutes ago.

upload_2021-11-26_22-53-6.png

upload_2021-11-26_22-53-29.png

Any Jewelry, bluumz and Bronwen like this.
  10. Curioser

Great! I'll go out and get some of the nasty stuff and give it a shot. Funny story: the friend who sold me this as scrap has ammonia, I recall she has mentioned using it before. She just didn't want to deal with this, I believe!

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Curioser

Thanks, also, @Shangas . I tried a dry cloth and the Never-Dull on the frame which had the least oxidation and didn't get any improvement. I'll try the ammonia method.

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

For a silver purse like this, so long as it doesn't have a lining, I use Wright's Silver Cream or an other foaming polish. It washes away and doesn't leave any hardened polish residue.

If you are going to use ammonia I would think you would want to rinse it so there is no residue.

Any Jewelry, Shangas and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

If the bag has no sort of cloth lining and is just woven silver, then obviously it'll be much easier to clean.

I'd try the ammonia & cotton wool thing first, and maybe if you want to try something stronger after that, use a silver-polishing cloth.

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    old white bread, not more abrasive than necessary. old baguette would be ideal.

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

On gilt silver\vermeil... Tarnex! The only cases you may\should use it...:)

Draft saved Draft deleted