Featured How to clean vintage Barbie clothes

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I was given three old Barbie trunks full of clothing. Been sitting in someone's garage or attic for a long time. Some of the prices on these vintage outfits are astounding. I'd like to clean them up enough to make them salable. I grabbed a few of the coats to show, but there are many more for Barbie, Ken and some of the others. I'm afraid this doll era passed me by and my daughter had a couple, but wasn't really into dolls either.

IMG_5285.jpg

reader, judy, KingofThings and 2 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Do I spot a mrs Claus outfit?:)

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Davey that is hysterical. :)

I have my old Barbies still, not sure how to clean the clothes. I was not a big doll person either even if my mother wanted me to be.

That white jacket looks familiar, perhaps goes with an ice skating outfit????

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd suggest hand wash......knowing what the fabrics are..
    or
    give em to Ken !!

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Yes, I thought about putting the red furred coat on and turning one of the dolls into Mrs. Claus. LOL

I'm just not sure about getting them wet. Especially the red things. They might run. Maybe I'll list them as is and let the buyer do it. Those folks seem to have it all under control. My gosh, the prices on these things!

7. komokwa

Hope u make a mint !!!!!:happy:

judy and KingofThings like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If it were me... I'd sell as is, disclosing condition. Likely a true BARBIE collector will already have cleaning tricks.

Debora

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I think I may go that route. Although, I sold a doll from the bunch a few years ago. I said in the listing that it had been stored and was musty. The woman who bought it gave me a really hard time and it only sold for about $10 and the ones online were going for $80. It wasn't a Barbie, it was a European doll. I sent her money back and she never returned the doll. Gotta love those buyers. Now I clearly state I'll refund only when I get the item back. Let's see if that flies.

11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

When my sister left behind her Barbies for horses, Mom packed each outfit with the shoes, hat, purse, etc. in separate sandwich bag and packed them away. Sis has been selling them on ebay for the last year++.
    Pack the in bags flat and put a book or two on top to press (unless there are hats). Try to get the right outfits together with the go alongs. They'll look great but disclose any odors, flaws, etc. as you know.
    Good luck. Hope you are as successful as Sis was!
    Patd

12. Ky 415

Ky 415 New Member

Hand Wash only, wash and rinse all colored clothes in cold water, the darker the color the more likely to run, avoid this by using cold water only I , do not soak clothing wash each item separately.
    Use Dawn dish soap, for ultra delicates use baby shampoo, hang indoors to dry, over kitchen curtain rods work great.

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

You could at least steam them... I've hand laundered many old dolly things including Barbie (you do need to be selective) and then carefully ironed them. Undoubtedly, there will loose seams and snaps, and buttons to reapply. Just be prepared for a little tidying up... Many things go back together nicely.
    Leslie

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Will you guys please educate me? No way would I wash those. I know my dry cleaner would give me a bulk price and given the probable value wouldn’t it be worth it? I’ve had fragile beaded vintage silk gowns successfully dry cleaned. Wouldn’t that be a safer bet?

15. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Back when my granddaughters were younger, I used the Dryell dry cleaning product to clean items like yours. Came out like new after being wadded up, walked on, dirty from sticky hands playing with them.

16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Dryell must be disclosed. Many are allergic to it!

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. komokwa

now don't quote me on this......but since Bev has had 4 years to figure this out and find what's best for her doll clothes........ it's safe to say they've already been cleaned. ...!;)..:yawn:

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

And....you'd be wrong. I just tucked them back in the Barbie suitcase and ignored them!!

Figtree3, reader, Any Jewelry and 5 others like this.
  19. komokwa

funny that !

pearlsnblume likes this.
  20. reader

reader Well-Known Member

LOL never looked at the date!

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted