Featured How to Marry a Millionaire, movie poster, fake?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by sunday silence, Jul 9, 2020.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

It's approx 22 x 17" these dimensions dont correspond to any traditional poster sizes such as half sheet 27x22" or an insert or a lobby card. BUt the markings on the bottom do seem to be correct. Any ideas on authenticity? 5880699_20200625120941.jpg 2295356_20200625121018.jpg 62082601_20200625121030.jpg 49866900_20200625121002.jpg 63791736_20200625121054.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Too fun movie. One of my favorite lines... "... she's awfully clever with a quarter."

Debora

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

Hi @sunday silence Upon first look, this appears to be a later reproduction of a lobby card for the movie, usually first run lobby cards don’t have a border around the edge, like the gold trim looking one here. Also, the thickness of the material this one is printed upon does not appear to have the same thickness as the card material originals were printed upon, and not consistent with the era, or at least I have not seen one from that year printed in this fashion. This could be one produced for later theatre showings or anniversary of the film, for example. These are just a couple things I immediately spotted, at least from my experience with movie memorabilia. I have also included a quick pic of a first run lobby card from same film. Hope that helps, if you would like me to give you more info, I would certainly be most happy to help. Maven ❤️

63EB5711-5DDA-442E-BA29-26B89B312556.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Vintage Maven

OMG! @sunday silence my sincere apologies for assessment on my initial look, I had been looking on my smartphone at it. I am on a bigger screen, and can see more detail, the matting around the lobby card etc, I should have held my words until I got in front of a computer screen (lesson learned). On a more clearer look, it certainly “looks” authentic. I hope you will please forgive my first write up. As @Debora asks, is it gloss or card stock. Maven ❤️

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At a glance, I would think a repro because the colors appear to be heavied up.

Debora

7. Vintage Maven

Yes, now that I see it larger, I tend to agree with you on that @Debora Also the stock it is printed on, and color bleeding/impact suggests newer as well. I’m now prepared to say 1980’s repro on the outset. In kindest regards of course.❤️

Christmasjoy, Debora and Bronwen like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If a repro (and it does appear to be,) it would be 1980s.

Debora

9. Vintage Maven

Yes, from other prints I’ve seen from the 1980’s era (not this one in particular) plus a better look at this one, certainly is quite characteristic of prints done then. If say, this were an original, it would be framed from day one to be pristine, even then, there is still some element and handling effect on a print through time, unless kept in perfect conditions environmentally, but that is stuff of museums. I have a handful of originals in my vintage photography collection that could be considered near perfect, from many decades of delicate treatment and care of those items by the previous owners, so it does happen. ❤️

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and lloyd249 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted