How to preserve, yet display books?

Discussion in 'Books' started by toozie21, Aug 24, 2020.

1. toozie21

toozie21 Member

I have a handful of old books I wouldn't mind displaying, but I would like to do it properly. Is there an easy way of doing this that doesn't cost a ton of money? Ideally, I would like them on a hanging shelf with the cover facing forward. I know to lean it against the wall like that is asking for trouble (both with the spine and the leather staining the wall). Some of the books are in terrible shape and will need to be completely supported.

Looking around I see some clear archival storage boxes, but they cost like $50 (more than most of these books are worth). Is there a cheaper solution?

judy likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

At our book shows and mall booths we use "Gibson" book stands. You can find them on Amazon - search for "GIBSON HOLDERS DCW Adjustable Wire Display Easel". Get the ones with the upper section that can fold up to provide adequate support for larger books. I like them because you can adjust the angle, and they support the whole book, as opposed to some other stands that have a foot and a back but leave the book leaning.

You should also consider the amount of light on the shelf. Less is better, and avoid direct sunlight.

Figtree3, judy and Joe2007 like this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

You could try barrister bookcases, obviously not as good as individual archival storage boxes but at least the glass would keep the dust off them.

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is their value monetary or sentimental?

Debora

5. toozie21

toozie21 Member

Thanks for all the quick replies folks!
    I had not seen those, that might be a really good option, price seems super reasonable too. That might be exactly what I am looking for. I don't think light will be an issue, I was mostly concerned with supporting the book in such a way that it doesn't put stress on the spine.

Though, as I think about this, I'll still need to come up with a way to handle the books with terrible spines (flaking and falling apart). I don't think there are many, but I might need to wrap those in some way. I'll have to look at the ones I have and see what the options are.

That would be the ideal situation probably. A few more dollars than I was hoping to spend, but for really nice collections, I think that this is the way to go.

Sentimental. I bet none are worth more than a $100ish dollars. I like to collect early Christmas related books. First mention of Santa's wife, the first time milk and cookies were associated with Christmas, the first american review of A Christmas Carol, an article on the WWI Christmas Truce, and other non-important things like that :). Some of the books //could// be worth more, but for those I am fine to buy ones in worse condition that are more in my price range.

Some of the stuff is actually magazines and newspapers (like the Christmas Truce), so I have to figure out how to display those, but that is more a matter of reasonably priced frames. The books go back to the early 1800s in some cases, so those are the things in rougher condition.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given value... If they were mine, I'd probably just put those I didn't want to frame and hang in a glass-fronted cabinet to keep from dust and sunlight. Unless, of course, money is no object.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted