How to price a super-rare book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Paul W, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

This book does not seem like it should be so rare. 1978 by a common publisher. Yet I can find only one copy anywhere online (abebooks), and it was priced at a ridiculous $30,254.71. I see now it has been reduced to “only” $22,792.76. (I messaged the seller a week ago to ask what the “real” price was. No response.)

It is:
    Sayings and Doings of Pai-chang - Ch’an Master of Great Wisdom ISBN: 0916820106 - Center Publications (January 1, 1978)

How should I price my almost like-new copy?

IMG_20220901_121814.jpg IMG_20220901_121825.jpg IMG_20220901_121923.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

there's no such thing as almost like new................

that said......
    offer it for 10 Grand........& see if u get a bite ...;)

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A buyer can save her/himself a nice chunk of change by buying a copy from this seller.

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 1.35.32 PM.png

4. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

Thank you! Looks like my searches were incomplete.
    The photo for that one is of The Sayings of Paramahansa Yogananda, but the ISBN is correct, so it's likely(?) the right one.

kyratango and judy like this.
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Agree with komo, LOL!
    And Paul, your copy is nowhere near "like new", IMHO. I see some kind of stain on the top edge of the front cover, and lots of edge wear to the entire cover... just sayin'... :shy:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    komokwa, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

2manybooks, bluumz and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

points all taken. . . thanks

komokwa and Debora like this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The book may be scarce, but it does not have "collectible" value - (not by a noted author, a fine binding, etc.) It will be of interest to students of Zen philosophy, who would be more likely to look for it in a library before paying an outrageous amount of money for it.

When you can't find direct comparisons, it is sometimes helpful to look for other books by the same author or, in this case, other books in the publisher's Zen Writings Series.

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?...=P4Gc0G.il3F,w9tdB.OwbT6gjJ4_1662131697_1:4:1

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?...vLZbUV9ijiMqq.cnjqDbUrxjK8_1662131877_1:12:38

@2manycats might be willing to opine further.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted