Featured How to remove silver with out damaged to gold under ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vicky McFadden, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Rayo56, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would put it in a pan and just drip the paint remover over the piece. Keep emptying the pan and reuse the same stripper over and over again. An antique restorer showed me that trick. Some one had taken an old lead and copper fountain and sprayed with silver radiator paint. It took a few days but only used a quart of remover. The difference was amazing. No scrubbing or anything.
    greg

3. Thanks the statue is wooden and 128 cm also would u still recommend same process

i need help likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't.:eek:
    Vicky, it is a modern Buddha, and I think it was meant to look like this. You can see that there is 'shading' in the folds etc, that looks original.
    The wood underneath may not be the best quality, and it was probably made in segments which were glued together. I think that is why it looks like it was repaired.
    But I would say, don't remove the paint. Paint stripper will most likely dissolve the glue and you will be left with bits and pieces of Buddha.:nailbiting:

If you don't like the silver paint, which I can understand, it is probably best to paint over it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    judy, blooey, 2manybooks and 2 others like this.
  5. I'm having trouble uploading pics but I don't thinki t is ;
    there are scrashes all over showing better shiny gold I think silver has been poorly painted to hide repair on two lower sides base it's self and two hands ,fingers ECT it looks like it was painted over black then silver I can scratch away anywer on her to reveal this gold but with this being large would take forever

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Do I understand you correctly, that if you scratch the surface there is gold paint or gilding?

Do you think it looks something like this underneath?
    [​IMG]

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

D82CCE2A-041C-4627-A601-E646D0746540.jpeg

Is this what you want to show?

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

If it is something like the Buddha I posted, that has gilding over a natural lacquer base. I wouldn't mess with chemicals.

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree do not mess it. When I gave you the lesson I thought it was metal I did not know that it was wood. Sorry about that.
    greg

10. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Another good way to conserve stripper, if you want to take something down to bare metal or wood: - Tear strips of old toweling or flannel, saturate in stripper and wrap around the object, then seal in a plastic bag until results achieved. This not only uses a minimal amount of stripper but also prevents toxic chemicals from stripper floating around in the air. I try to work outside or in a well ventilated room with fans blowing fumes away from me.

11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Tapping on it with a metal object like a spoon handle should tell if wood or metal - wood makes a low thud, metal would make a higher pitched "tink". It does look like carved wood though.
    Maybe try a mild paint stripper specifically for wood and work in small areas at a time.

judy, Christmasjoy, blooey and 2 others like this.
  12. Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ask them how they know it's antique? ;);):wideyed:

14. Yes I have messaged and asked , it is like scratching a giant scratch card does any one know of a easy way or come across this b4 I do not want to ruin wood ? And this is made of 1piece , hand carved

15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Instead of stripper, try using different solvents on a q-tip to see if any of them will remove the silver and leave the gold alone. Start with mild and work up to stronger. If the silver is in a shellac-type vehicle, you can try alcohol first. If no-go, try something stronger like acetone, even lacquer thinner if you have a well-ventilated working area.
    Whatever you use, it will be a slow process - restoration can be like that, if you are in a rush, leave it alone.

16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It would probably be best to do any experiments (if you must) on the base, in the back, so you damage the Buddha.

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Vicky, this is not an antique Indonesian Buddha, sorry.
    As I told you some time ago, it is a recently made Buddha in Burmese Mandalay style, with a crown added. The Buddha I posted earlier is an antique Mandalay style Buddha, no crown. Those crowns were never worn in Indonesia, they are typical of parts of mainland southeast Asia.

It is possible that yours was made on Bali, Indonesia, for the tourist trade or export. Balinese will copy anything if there is a demand, and there is always demand from the West. But it is not an antique Indonesian Buddha.

Below are antique Indonesian Buddhas, of the standing type. These are all bronze, because no wooden ones have survived from the Indonesian Buddhist era. As you can see, the style is very different from your Buddha:

[​IMG]
    https://www.npm.gov.tw/exh97/asia_chiayi/_en/page2.html

[​IMG]
    https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/38998

[​IMG]
    https://artgallery.yale.edu/collections/objects/123842

Some info on the Indonesian Buddhist era and the cultural and stylistic influences:
    http://www.beprimitive.com/blog/indonesian-buddhas-a-legacy-in-stone
    How do you know it is one piece, if you can't see underneath the surface?
    I think blooey and i need help have given you the best advice on experimenting with paint removal.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  18. Any Jewelry

Although your Buddha could have been made recently in Bali, it could also have been made in Thailand, or even Burma (Myanmar). Thai will copy any Buddhist style for tourism or export.

Vicky, you have found us now. Next time someone offers an antique Buddha for sale, you can ask here first. We are always happy to advise you.

19. Thanks I just wanted help removing the layer of paint, it was a real bargain and love it regardless of antique or new im keeping it myself but I do think painted over to cover repairs anyhow I can't resist seeing wots underneath ,
    Back all done now anyway thanks everyone

kyratango, Any Jewelry, judy and 2 others like this.
  20. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Keep us informed (pictures) of your progress!! :snaphappy::)

kyratango, Any Jewelry, judy and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted