Featured How to: Restore a vintage/retro fridge! (1948 General Electric)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by PhoenixFab, Jul 19, 2020.

1. PhoenixFab

PhoenixFab New Member

Hi All!

I hope this is the right place to put something like this, but here is a fridge I just got done restoring! Hope it inspires someone to give it a try!

[​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Gorgeous job.
    greg

blooey, Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Fabulous!

Hi2022 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Immaculate!

Hi2022 and judy like this.
  6. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

DITTO !!

7. PhoenixFab

PhoenixFab New Member

Thanks for all the kind words! This was my first time trying out a lot of these methods as to how to paint and do body work... So it was an awesome learning experience that rewards me with a sick fridge in my garage. My wife is now sewing a car cover for it so when I work and paint in the shop, my fridge is safe. :)

Born2it, Hi2022, all_fakes and 3 others like this.
  8. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Nice work !!!!

9. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Wonderful job did you also restore the inside?

10. PhoenixFab

PhoenixFab New Member

Well the interior "skin" of the fridge was in immaculate condition, and I did not feel I could find/use a paint durable enough to stand up to years of soda cans being placed on it, and things falling over/sliding on it without wearing it away. So I left the interior pretty much original.

Now, I did re-insulate it using the great stuff foam, and I trimmed away any excess that flowed out the seams/openings. I would recommend using Window/Door Great stuff foam as the "Big Gap Filler" foam I used expanded so much it bowed my exterior sheet metal, and then oddly enough the foam shrank in its final form caving in the sides a little. I then had to take a saw and cut the foam away for the inside of the metal surface, and all the metal popped back into place like a pop can. I dont know if you noticed, but the video at the top, is a how to and a general recap of everything I did to get it to where it is today. :) Thanks so much everyone!

Born2it, LauraGarnet02 and cxgirl like this.
  11. PhoenixFab

PhoenixFab New Member

cxgirl likes this.
  12. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

@PhoenixFab you are right the interiors are in immaculate condition. A fantastic job done.

13. Vintage Maven

Vintage Maven Well-Known Member

Fabulous restoration! Maven ❤️

14. SWFL

SWFL New Member

Nice work! I rescued a General Motors Frigidaire from a dump in Florida. They were nice enough to let me take it for free. I tried powering it up. The compressor runs, but it doesn't cool. When I get around to it, I'm not sure if I'll try to repair the original cooling system or update it to a more modern one. I love the robust rounded construction and the chrome pull handle.

Born2it likes this.
  15. ElleNVee

ElleNVee Member

That is gorgeous. If you're in Phoenix and it's in uncooled space its going to have to work really hard and cost a pretty penny to keep cool. Sorry to be a downer but wondered if you'd considered that. Good excuse for the wife to let you keep it in the house anyway :)

16. PhoenixFab

PhoenixFab New Member

Nope, I am in Chicago. However, none the less, I am getting my garage/shop heat and AC hookup in the coming weeks. I need to have a controlled environment so that the chemicals and paints I use on cars do not go bad.

Born2it and ElleNVee like this.
  17. PhoenixFab

PhoenixFab New Member

Very good find! I would recharge the current system. After some research, the general consensus is with proper NEW insulation, a proper door seal, that these can be as efficient if not more efficient than modern ones. Also, they are rated for something like 300 years, meaning the compressor should out last you, me, and our kids. While I work in the shop, I have taken mental notes of when it turns on and off every hour, and I would say it only runs about 10 minutes each hour. Which is pretty good. I will hook up a killawatt meter to it to see, but I have had troubles finding one at a local hardware store.

18. Found Vintage

Found Vintage New Member

How did you remove those little chrome clips that hold the front trim in place? Do they just pop off? I have a GE like this and I need to remove that bottom piece to repair a rusted out spot. I’m afraid I’m going to break those clips!

19. James Langworthy

James Langworthy New Member

Incredible job! I have an Identical fridge I am preparing to restore and your video has been incredibly helpful. Does the chrome "General Electric" on the door come off from inside the door? I assume so, otherwise that would be some intense taping.

20. PhoenixFab

PhoenixFab New Member

Yes the emblem comes off by prying these washers off carefully from inside the door.

anundverkaufen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted