Featured How to safely remove tape + Art Nouveau stickpin!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Sep 19, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Found this 14k stickpin earlier, unmarked in this stunning blue art nouveau box. The stickpin is missing a small seed pearl as indicated by the empty post. The stone is blue but is hard to tell in the photos. James W. Beath passed away in 1914 https://mineralogicalrecord.com/labels.asp?colid=114 SO I have a dilemma there is tape on the box and I would like to take it off and minimize any damage. How should I go about this? Any genius ideas?

20200918_205523_resized.jpg 20200918_205535_resized.jpg 20200918_205541_resized.jpg 20200918_205642_resized.jpg 20200918_205752_resized.jpg 20200918_205723_resized.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

to my mind......those were made with very thin dyed leather and that tape....well it's part of it now....
    even if u could use hot air to loosen the sticky part....there would still be sticky residue left on the box...

Bronwen, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

You might try using mineral spirits, cautiously, starting on the bottom of the case. First do a test: use a Q-tip dampened slightly with the solvent - wet the swab and then roll it on a paper towel until it is only slightly damp. Roll it on a tiny area of the leather, and check the swab to see if any color transfers. Watch to see how the solvent reacts on the leather. It will probably darken it, but watch to see if it evaporates without leaving a stain or ring. If there are no adverse reactions in the test area, try placing a slightly damper swab along the edge of the tape, allowing the solvent to run underneath the tape. It will take a bit of time to soften the adhesive, and you may have to repeat the application process. Use a thin tool, like a small spatula, small knife, or slightly dull scalpel to slip between the leather and the tape as the adhesive softens. Work in small areas, clipping off the tape as it is loosened. There may be a tendency for the tape to pull off the top surface of the leather, so you need to work slowly. When you have the tape removed you will need to swab the leather surface to remove the remaining adhesive. Use a slightly damp swab and roll it over the surface. Try not to rub the swab, which is a more abrasive action that may damage the leather.

This is a method I have used to remove tape from various surfaces, including leather books. But there is no guarantee. Even with the tape removed, there may still be a stain where the adhesive soaked into the leather.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Put it in a ziplock bag and place it in the freezer for a few hours.
    It may just lift off when frozen.
    This works with gum on clothing.

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Agree!!!:)
    This is the simpliest method to begin with, 2manybooks is the second to attempt if it doesn't come off:)

antidiem, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  6. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Good luck! Freezing sounds like a simple trial, but I'm with Komokwa and don't mind the tape.

Bronwen, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I will be very interested to hear if freezing works.

Bronwen, kyratango and antidiem like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My thought is to freeze it, too. That usually works, makes the tape brittle.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

To me the tape already looks brittle...from age , and while freezing may get some of it ...where not laid fully on the leather surface....that swath on the back.....it's now part of that thin leather....and will not go quietly into the gentle night !
    IMO..

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted