How to ship large costume jewelry lots

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on how to ship a large amount of costume jewelry without the pieces being damaged? I'm shipping it internationally, to my family home, so I'm worried that if I just put it in a bag, some of the pieces may be damaged with the jostling, especially since I think it's being shipped by ship.

How would you recommend labeling it on the customs form, especially if I have about 100 pieces and other miscellaneous items as well?

i need help likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'd wrap them each separately, but that's just me, I'm a hyper-wrapper.:hilarious:

You're moving back to the US, right? Can't it all go with any other (household) stuff and clothes you'll be sending back?

3. Barn Owl

I feel like if I did that, it would probably take up a huge amount of space. I'm not sure if it costs more for the size of the box (I'm using DHL), but I also have a couple of bigger things I'll be shipping back.

Yeah, but not until July. I want to ship some stuff back beforehand.

4. Any Jewelry

Little things like jewellery can be stuffed in bigger things like cups, glasses, pots, pans, even shoes, as long as they are protected in some way.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I would roll each item in bubble wrap and place in a cardboard box, then place the box surrounded with more bubble wrap into one of those lidded plastic stackable cartons which you can buy quite cheap.
    I recently sent a delicate china cup and saucer to Australia by the same method and it arrived perfect.

6. Any Jewelry

I always wrap separately and double box with a lot of bubble wrap etc anyway.
    But in this case I'd ship the costume jewellery along with my household items. If there is anything valuable in there, take extra insurance, or wear it yourself underneath clothing when you go.

7. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Before wrapping pieces set with stones, I slip them into small plastic baggies with zip tops. If any prong or glue set stones jostle loose in transport, it's easy to find them.

Barn Owl, cxgirl, judy and 12 others like this.
  8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You can find these small bags on-line or at hobby type stores. Someone made this suggestion several years back & I always slip jewelery into one. It also keeps pieces from getting damaged while they are sitting around waiting to be sold.

Barn Owl, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Sounds like all GREAT advice, @Barn Owl!!!! And now, you get to pick and choose!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Barn Owl, judy and Sandra like this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Best wishes for your upcoming move, BarnOwl.

Barn Owl, judy, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

What they said. I generally wrap in tissue and then put it all in a ziplock to make sure any loose pieces can't escape. Put that in a real box with bubble wrap and it's pretty safe. That said, if you're moving house I'd pack it in with everything else like Any said. Pieces worth real money should be hand-carried just in case.

12. Barn Owl

Thank you! I'll keep my eyes out for those. :)

Thanks! I figure that I'll carry the more valuable stuff, but most of what I buy is just cheap costume for a couple dollars apiece, so it's easier just to ship it.

Thanks! :) Good idea. I have to find those.
    Thanks! Then no tangling chains either.
    It's all fantastic advice! :)
    Thanks! :)
    Yeah, I figure I'll be shipping a lot of stuff home.

13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

This might be too time consuming for a large quantity of jewelry, but for delicate pendants I wrap tissue paper or a piece of soft fabric around just the pendant and/or put a small (2"×2" etc) zip lock bag over the pendant, zip it as close to the chain as I can, then wrap tissue paper around the chain and put the whole thing in a bigger ziplock bag.

For delicate strands of beads such as pearls, crystals, or various combinations of beads, or chunky chaIns that could scratch easily, I wrap a long narrow piece of tissue paper around each strand, tape in a few places, then coil or fold the necklace so it fits snuggly in a zip lock bag (usually sandwich size). Sometimes I wrap another piece of tissue paper around the folded/coiled necklace to keep it from moving around inside the bag.

Draft saved Draft deleted