How to Tell an Antique Asian Vase from a Modern One?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RachelW, Jul 20, 2020.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Good evening all. I thought I'd see what I could find on Facebook and came across this. I'm not interested in it, although it is pretty, but I'm wondering if anyone could tell me about it.

Its a signed Chinese vase made in the early 19th century according to the seller. No measurements, and this is the only photo. What clues are there that make the ad right or wrong in its description? What makes this different from a more recent reproduction or export item? To me the wood (presumably) looks old but the artwork looks very similar to my 20th century Japanese tourist vase. I'd appreciate any thoughts!

70190001_2779366965430007_5496302707054477312_o.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wood? What did the seller say about material?

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. RachelW

Nothing at all. Its what it looks like to me in the photo but its hard to tell. All the seller had was a couple of sentences about its age and estimated worth. Nothing else sadly.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I would say metal with ceramic sections painted with enamels.

I have never seen a wooden item with ceramic fired on.

Christmasjoy, RachelW and antidiem like this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The entire center is brown ceramic matt (no sheen) paint, kind of makes it look like wood.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  6. RachelW

Thank you! I suppose that would be strange lol. I love the figures on it!

Thats good to know! Why would they paint over a metal though?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

These are usually marked - this one isn't?
    My guess is that the seller meant early 1900's rather than early 19thc., they weren't made back then, afaik - although this style of vase was made for quite a few decades, well into the late 20th c for sure and maybe still made ...some are old and this one does look like it could be, but of course without close examination it is just a guess. Nice vase though.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

9. RachelW

She said it was marked but showed no picture and didn't say what it said in the ad. It is a lovely thing, right up my alley but sadly out of my price and location range! Early 20th does make more sense to me.

antidiem and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nankin vase:)

antidiem and RachelW like this.
  11. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Can I recommend that since you are learning and trying to figure out what is what, that facebook, ebay, and online listings in general are not a good way to learn. You need to go to reputable dealers and auctions that can reliably represent what things are. Even honest dealers and auctioneers make mistakes, but far far fewer than what you'll find online. Plus if you go to a dealer or auction, you will be able to hold an item in your hand, you can turn it over, look inside, see what materials, feel its weight, etc. whereas with an online listing you are restricted to whatever the seller decided to take a picture of, and those are rarely adequate. This item (and a couple others you've posted) are perfect examples of that.

antidiem and kyratango like this.
  12. RachelW

I 100% agree with you there Jeff, unfortunately I live in a rural area and I cannot drive so it makes it difficult to find/get to places in person. We have the odd antiques shop and thrift store but that's about as good as I can get here. I suppose even reputable online auctions would be a better place to browse then the Marketplace!

13. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

The vase appears Chinese with the chimeras (baby dragons) on the neck. The brown color glaze is made to resemble bronze. Learn to use the Internet for research and reference. Back in the day, we had to carry various books, price guides, or go to the library. Become familiar with the site: https://gotheborg.com for Asian porcelains and other ceramics.
    For the vase: https://gotheborg.com/marks/brownetched.shtml This will probably tell you more than you wanted to know.

14. RachelW

Thank you so much for that resource! I'll turn my attention to articles and informational websites.

Draft saved Draft deleted