How to Value Huge Jade Incense Burner

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by arguston, Oct 17, 2021.

1. arguston

arguston New Member

I have a very large jade incense burner. It's about 22 inches tall and 38 inches in circumference. It's not one solid piece - the finial is a separate piece attached to the lid, the bowl is attached to the carved column which is attached to the base. The little rings on the side are also attached, it looks like with glue. I believe it is vintage, but not antique. The a pretty big crack/scratch on the inside of the bowl that looks to be repaired - it doesn't go through to the outside though.

Could someone help me value this piece? I haven't been able to come across an incense burner this large when I was looking at other online auctions.

Link to pics: https://imgur.com/a/0h4N4sT
    Thanks!

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It could be serpentine and not jade.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, serpentine. As you thought, not very old, and probably made for export.
    The value would be strictly home decor, imo, not a collector's item.

5. arguston

arguston New Member

Thanks!

Do you know of any definitive way to tell for sure?

Also, even as just a decor item, any estimates on its value?

6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Also think serpentine. Found some very similar ones online. Best to maybe search and find some recent prices..

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Serpentine can be scratched with a knife, jade can't. But I can assure you, this isn't jade, so you don't have to damage your censer.;)

8. arguston

arguston New Member

Could you send me a link to the ones you found? I've been searching on Ebay and Etsy and haven't found one like mine. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms.

9. arguston

arguston New Member

Hah, alright I believe you! It's a shame though, as I bought it from someone who marketed it as jade.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

It is difficult to recognize jade if you don't know anything about it.
    Some clues when looking for jade censers is that they have an even colouration, they are pretty glossy, and they are never as big as yours.

There are several shapes and sizes, this is typically what you'll find for sale, note the size:

upload_2021-10-19_20-20-0.jpeg
    https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2512/lots/1127

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted