How to view magic lantern glass slides??

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Jan 20, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

So I have been contemplating this for awhile but I often come across glass slides that are meant for a magic lantern. I dont want to buy a magic lantern and set it up but instead I am looking for a viewing apparatus of sorts that maybe you can insert a slide into and hold it up to light? Is there such a thing?

I found an English made monoscope specific for this purpose but they appear to be rare and expensive! Any ideas??

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

A small sheet of white opaque glass, a cardboard box with a light in it and some duct tape.
    Lay the slides on top of the lit box. If you mask off the surrounding glass it is a good way to photograph them. You can then blow them up and otherwise manipulate them on your computer.

You could even make a slide show file you could view on your television.

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AF, you are FULL of clever ideas and surprises!!!! Wish I knew that back when I had a bunch of those slides!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the idea! I will give it a shot, ultimately I would LOVE to find one of the extremely rare handheld viewers you would hold up to light. I feel like those would be fun

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

keep yer eyes open......those handheld viewers do come up from time to time ....with some average ones going for less than the good cards can go for...& from folks who know not what they are in the 1st place...

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oooopsy......i was looking at your stereoscope cards....................my bad..!

Draft saved Draft deleted