Featured How would you describe this Pottery from Denmark?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MrNate, Sep 24, 2017.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

As always, I'm on the hunt at my local thrift stores; I came across this pottery from Denmark. Here are my questions

1. How would you describe this? Is it correct to call it mid-century modern, or is there another more appropriate style?

2. Any clue who the maker might be? I know the bottom is really hard to read, so I sketched out a drawing of the signature. I'm guessing the signature either reads "KUE", "KNE", "TUE" or something entirely different that I'm not seeing.

DSC_0767.JPG DSC_0768.JPG DSC_0769.JPG DSC_0772.JPG IMG_0956.JPG

Figtree3, LIbraryLady and judy like this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Can you show the signature? My guess would be Nils Kahler.

judy likes this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That would obviously be AWESOME. I tried to get a few better photographs of the bottom. The black letters are "3 y" that was the price on the vase.....so annoying that they mark their products with a black sharpie, that is a subject for another day..

IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0960.JPG IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0957.JPG

anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think this was made as an insert for a second piece?

aaroncab and judy like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it.

judy likes this.
  6. anundverkaufen

7. anundverkaufen

8. Rory

Rory Active Member

Anundverkaufen has it - but might I say its STUNNING! :-O

MrNate and judy like this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Wow Anundverkaufen!!!

That is truly amazing that you found that. I'm really lucky to be a part of this forum, you guys are truly amazing! I'm always trying to do my fair share to return the favor to others. Man, it's always hard to describe what made me buy something when I didn't know what it was, but it's so great when I get rewarded like this!

Now on to the next question, what should I do about the sharpie marks on the bottom:

1. Try to scrape it off?
    2. Use some sort of solvent?
    3. Absolutely nothing?
    4. Use more sharpie and black out the 3 and y?
    5. Something else?

judy, cxgirl and anundverkaufen like this.
  10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I think you can rule out numbers 1 and 4. If there were a safe way to remove it without damaging it that'd be the way to go, but I wouldn't know how to remove sharpie, perhaps someone here will, I wouldn't be surprised.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  11. Rory

Rory Active Member

I don't think something like acetone would damage the pottery, however given the surface is very porous, Id imagine the sharpie might blur, and not truly come out of the clay. My gut says leave it as is... the marker pen is just another point in the timeline of the piece, and will one day communicate something about its history.

judy and aaroncab like this.
  12. anundverkaufen

Axe brand deodorant spray will dissolve it really well but being a porous stoneware you'll have to dab it with a soft absorbent rag quickly and possibly repeat more than once. It will smell like the deodorant for a few days but it works.

judy, Figtree3 and aaroncab like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Magic Eraser will do it.

judy, Figtree3 and MrNate like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Magic Eraser does a wonderful job on removing marks.
    greg

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  15. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I've started to just leave those marks on porous surfaces. It doesn't show on display so I've stopped driving myself nuts. For me it's not worth risking having the poor thing smell. Beautiful piece BTW.
    Don

judy likes this.
  16. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

Very interesting pottery!

judy likes this.
  17. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thanks again for helping me solve this, I ended up trying nail polish remover on the mark, here is how it came out (i'm very happy with the result after about 10 minutes of q-tip work):

IMG_1086.jpg

judy likes this.
  18. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Anundverkaufen,

I want to thank you personally for identifying this pottery for me. Today, a collector from Denmark bought it for $93, a price I was very happy with considering I paid $3 for it. I really appreciate you identifying the piece and hopefully I can return the favor of knowledge.

To everyone else reading this, thank you too! I'm finally starting to expand out into glass/pottery etc. and I've had a few sales that were a direct result of learning from the experts on here! Now, I'm off to go super bubble wrap some pottery heading back to its home in Denmark.

KentWhirled, cxgirl, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great score and selling price Mr.Nate:)

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted