Howard Miller Curio Cabinet - Two Way Slider Door

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 1, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to fully open the two way slider door on a large Howard Miller Curio Cabinet? I bought this beat up curio cabinet that has great bones. It has a beveled glass front piece, lighting and is 48 inches wide and 80 inches high. I am still work on repairing the gouges and replacing the glass shelves, which were all damaged. My question is there any way to fully open the sliding door on a cabinet that opens partly both ways. I want to fully open it on one side in order to put in the new shelves. I can't see anything that keeps the door from sliding all the way. I didn't get an assembly manual and they don't appear to provide customer service if your piece is more than one year old.

Any help would be really appreciated.

IMG_5892.jpg IMG_5893.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I took this from a review for your curio, hoping it might help a little bit :bag:
    "The next task was getting the glass shelves in and I have to say, be prepared for stress and tension and sore arms. If you have a weak heart, have someone else do it. Due to the fact this cabinet has a slide door, you have two options (but really only one feasible one): 1) slide the door to the right, which exposes 12-14 inches of opening into the interior of the cabinet; not nearly enough to get a glass shelve in and 2) slide the door to the left, giving you 20 inches or so on the right side."

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you very much for this. At least that gives me some options. I have no idea why they would make it this way. The shelves are very heavy.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have a nearly identical cabinet. Slip the shelves in with the fronts tipped down with the plane vertical, get them in place, then lay flat. You will have to pull the cabinet out to do this since the adjacent wall will not allow you the access you need as it sits.

On second thought, you could slip them in on end, get all of them in, and raise them one by one.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what I thought.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Great advice Brad. I have very little open wall space what with the windows and built ins, so I out this on sliders so I can move it back and forth. I really appreciate your help and pleased to hear we have the same taste in curios as I admire your furniture expertise and you!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    verybrad and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for the confirmation. I don't want to break anything while I'm doing this, so I trying to plot and plan before I start.

8. Any Jewelry

You could use rubbery things in between the shelves while you're working on getting them all in place.
    (I am being very clear again, aren't I? :confused:)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Hmmm. "Rubbery things" leaves a lot to the imagination. Frankly, I insist on rubbery things for protection, but I don't think that's what you mean. :D

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

:hilarious:
    Not exactly, no.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

I agree. It would be hard to get one that size. Though you never know. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted