Howdy from New England

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by J Dagger, Jun 5, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

New member here. I hate talking about myself so this will be kind of brief. I’ve collected here and there my whole life. Different things at different times. I’ve been fascinated by old stuff since a small kid. On vacation in ME as a kid we got to pick out souvenirs. My sister picked some plastic toys from China. I picked old dirty, black and white photos of random folks and an antique egg beater. My mom didn’t understand it. I recently dove head first into vintage/antique everything. Auctions, thrift stores, estate sales, tag sales. I’ve been buying too much, too quick lol. A version of retail therapy I suppose. Some stuff I intend to sell but I’m way too sentimental and I get attached to everything as soon as I take possession, so I sell almost nothing. My collection is pretty unfocused. If I like it and can afford it then I buy it. I need to curb that a bit. I like old and antique silver a lot. I like hollowware, flatware, coins, jewelry, bullion, functional items, whatever. Same with gold. I also have quite a bit of old brass and copper. Anything made in New England is of particular interest. At the moment I’m compiling a collection of North East coin silver, at this point just spoons, but hopefully that will change. I like anything Native American/Indian. Also Celtic and French/French Canadian stuff. Asian artwork and antiques always capture my interest as well, although I know next to nothing about them. I have a lot of stuff I know exactly what it is. My reasons for joining here, in addition to enjoying other people’s posts and learning in general are to find out more about my “mystery objects”. Since I’m new in a way to antiques I have a lot to learn.

BMRT, carolgal, Bakersgma and 6 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, J Dagger! :)

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Dagger!

Welcome to Antiquers...........

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome J Dagger, from another ecclectic collector.
    I'm sure that is a location, but I only know it as one of the conditions I have. Which is not much like a vacation.:(

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Maine....

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

8. komokwa

Greetings.........my only suggestion...so as not to become an old hoarder ....
    focus on what really drives you.......sell off the rest !

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you.:) I thought that was MN, but that is probably Minnesota?
    I'm from NB.:D No, not New Brunswick.

carolgal, J Dagger, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME J Dagger !!! ... Joy. :)

judy, J Dagger, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome from another New England junque junkie! I'm in Connecticut, but have relatives in Maine. I'm a bit of a magpie too, and my hoarding instincts kick in for Israeli silver, especially if set with Eilat. No problem collecting the rest too of course.(LOL)

12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome among our collection of collectors, J Dagger!:joyful:

judy, J Dagger, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, J Dagger!

For someone who doesn't like talking about yourself, you shared a lot!!

14. J Dagger

Hahahahaha! In me isn’t much of a vacation either. Although I have some good daydreams every now and then. ME (Maine as another member pointed out) is pretty good for a vaca on the other hand.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. J Dagger

I will try! I’ve been getting that advice a lot. Even though I’m not young per say, many an older antiquer approaches me to chat and say they are happy to see someone younger at the sales. I’m in my mid 30’s but have a bit of a baby face, I’m skinny as a bean pole, and I act like child. So I guess people mistake me as being younger than I am. I’m afraid it’s already a bit too late to not be a hoarder. I will try though lol.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. J Dagger

Thanks for the warm welcome y’all.

17. Tich

Tich New Member

Hi there everyone, Tich here! From Sunny South Africa, this is my first post as I’ve just joined! No clue what I’m doing or where I should be posting this question! been scouring through all the various searches ended up here ...will work things out soon enuff , hopefully! PLEASE HELP? Just bought this Copper cauldron, does anyone recognize what it was used for , is it an antique and do you think It is a valuable item?

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. komokwa

No clue what I’m doing...

That's OK...for now...

try this...
    start your own thread in Introductions
    And another for your metal...on the Metal Forum...

things will smooth out after that ........ & welcome here !!

19. Tich

Tich New Member

Will work it out , Thanks so much for the advice!

20. komokwa

ps...when u put up a photo.....please hit FULL IMAGE before posting to the site...it helps us see it better !
    :):):)

Draft saved Draft deleted