Featured Huge antique step back cupboard

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by deanbrew, Jan 16, 2020.

1. deanbrew

deanbrew New Member

We are looking to identify, value and sell a huge cabinet that I believe might be called a step back cupboard. It is 122" wide by 19.5" deep by 99.5" high. I'm sure the top part comes off the bottom, but I don't know if any of the rest comes apart.

It is located in Pennsylvania, and was bought by my FIL probably in PA or an adjacent state.

large wood hutch a r.JPG

large wood hutch c r.JPG

I would appreciate any help with ID, value and how best to sell. Thanks.

Born2it, pearlsnblume, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

At over 8' tall that might be a tough sell with so many 8' ceilings around.

Sure could store a lot of stuff in it if a person had a big enough house.

I'd suggest trying your local Craigs List or Facebook Marketplace.

pearlsnblume, Hi2022, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well, it's the same form but the size isn't what is considered a stepback cupboard which were mostly utilitarian type kitchen cupboards in the 19th century.
    Looking at the hardware I'd guess 1st quarter 20th century, pine and most likely built to display something, like a collection or store cupboard.
    Agree it's size is going to limit interest from buyers, bigger isn't better these days.

4. Ellie Jones

Ellie Jones Member

I'm thinking mid century 50's thru 60". Maybe commercial piece? We took a trip to Tenn this summer and I was surprised by how many tall pieces of furniture we saw in the antique stores, older than this. More like gone with the wind era. Is it actual wood? Or veneer? Also looks like it may have been individually made for someone. Not a mass produced piece.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Is there a crown piece for the top?

A beautiful commercial piece just now becoming an antique. I'd keep it!

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agree, most likely use i would say, general store type deal. There are no drawers which one would expect to see in a stepback cupboard which again, points to a display cabinet.

7. Ellie Jones

Ellie Jones Member

Could it possibly be a fancy book case? Reason being is look at how the selves are all spaced exactly the same width? Or whatever was displayed in it were all no taller than the shelves.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I find it interesting how the doors on the upper part open.....I think......the Left door opens to open the two doors on the leftish sides, and the Middle door does the same on the two right sides!!! With no knobs on doors 2 and 4.....at least that's what I'm seeing...........IF I made myself clear!!! But I do think it's lovely!!!! Think it DOES sound more likely for General Store use, as others have suggested!

pearlsnblume and Hi2022 like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think this to be antique or nearly so. Agree that it is likely a commercial piece for store display. In the past, much merchandise was kept behind counters away from customers. Clerks would access what a customer requested and bring it to the counter for the customer to see. Have seen similar cabinets in photos of old department stores for clothing display.

Born2it, pearlsnblume, Hi2022 and 3 others like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i think i've seen this look in old tobacco shops...

11. verybrad

Here is a clothing department photo from an old department store:

[​IMG]

12. verybrad

Size will limit market on this. The right person would love this if they have the space and the ability to transport. It may take a long while to find that person. If in a hurry to sell, your best bet would be to a dealer or at auction. In such a case, expect to get very little for this in comparison to potential value.

Born2it, Hi2022, James Conrad and 2 others like this.
  13. deanbrew

deanbrew New Member

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the comments, and agree it was most likely a store display cabinet. I do worry that the size very much limits the market appeal.

14. leslie ramos

leslie ramos New Member

Hello! this is beautiful!!! is it still available?

Born2it, pearlsnblume and Hi2022 like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@leslie ramos
    Please use Private Conversation to inquire about sales.

pearlsnblume, Hi2022 and komokwa like this.
  16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I know I would love to have that, but being in an apt it would not work.

James Conrad and judy like this.
  17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The original poster hasn't been back in two years.:(

komokwa likes this.
  18. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Oh dear, now I feel silly. :eek::(

say_it_slowly likes this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

(I remember liking it:))