HUGE CRISTAL Silverplated Tray Need ID

Discussion in 'Silver' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Nov 10, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Hi all, I am so mad, I Google Cristal Silverplate and even put Cristal in eBay search but they change it to Crystal???
    This measures 27 1/2" X 13 1/2". Does anyone know who the maker is? Also I looked on Replacements and struck out. Thanks for any help.

OH, could this be from an upscale restaurant maybe?
    Back
    phpa52lOBPM.jpg

Front phpF79A2VPM.jpg
    phph7uq0iPM.jpg phpxwS8u2PM.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a restaurant might have their logo on it.....yes...no ??

3. spirit-of-shiloh

HUMMMM! Never thought of that? I will look up Cristal restaurants now,thanks :)

4. spirit-of-shiloh

5. spirit-of-shiloh

Cuisines:French, Mediterranean

So maybe Cristal is French? I wish it was Christofle

Well,in the UK they serve Scottish cuisie, France,and they are even in Shanghi.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Well,in the UK they serve Scottish cuisine,

Deep fried Mars Bars are a regional speciality in Scotland, haggis has never caught on south of the border, and oats are what the English feed to horses. Really the only part of the UK where you'll find Scottish cusine is Scotland. Bashed neeps, anyone?

Very large silverplated trays are very hard to sell, since they have little practical application nowadays and they are not all that decorative.

You know what's coming next.....................I have one in the shed.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  7. spirit-of-shiloh

LOL, I figured you would have a gigantis tray in the shed. :p I never planned on selling it, I like it since its so big :)

Haggis??? :yuck::hungover::dead:

Neeps??? Turnips????

8. afantiques

The haggis is a 1940's school dinner in a dead sheep's stomach. So traumatic did I find the abysmal 1940s/50s school dinners they have distorted my eating patterns for the rest of my life.

Turnips, swedes and mangelwurzels are horse fodder, not for humans, and I considered my 6 or 7 year old's person's refusal to eat them as a rational response to a nasty taste, even though at the time the standard punishment for not eating your dinner was to sit and look at it for the rest of the afternoon.
    The standard encouragement was 'Sailors died to bring you that food' and 'There's children in Africa who'd love that', and an innocent remark that turnips come from East Anglia, and that the Africans were welcome to my dinner would receive regular punishment from people who could not distinguish a statement of fact from 'insolence'.

Just a thought. You could serve a very large pizza on the tray. With an oval base, it would look as if you had a special pizza tray. All your neighbours would want one.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

I hate turnips,beets :vomit:,brussels sprouts and egg plant,all should be outlawed. :mad:

My ex boyfriend told me about haggis,he was English and Scotch, no wonder I dumped him?;)

When I was a kid I got the kids starving in Africa too, I would have gladly sent them my icky food.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Shiloh,
    Perhaps the cristal referred to a glass liner for your tray? I used to love giant trays like this when I entertained. The last time I used my trays was for an Open House party three years ago. I thought perhaps 60 people ended up with 82 and nobody left until the end. Usually Open House was 1pm to 4PM and people came and stayed 30 mins to hour and then leave.
    Just had finger foods and desserts but of course some people brought extra bottles of vino and I was busy running tours of the house. People seemed so interested in the decor. One couple had nothing on the walls because they did not know how to imagine what something would look like on the wall. They asked how I manged to cover most of the walls with stuff. I mean plates mixed with mirrors and shelves and photos just blew them away.
    If they only know how much stuff I decluttered I think they might have stroked out.
    greg

11. spirit-of-shiloh

Greg, I remember eating at a nice restaurant in Vegas and the chefs had huge platters with what nots on them. I could always place turkey and ham slices on this and still have room for a garnish.:p Now I am starving.

12. komokwa

The haggis is a 1940's school dinner in a dead sheep's stomach.

Better'n a live sheep's stomach !!! Heeheeheee !!!!!!

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Better IN a live sheep's stomach than in yours! Turnips are prized by critters. The best use I ever found for the big yellow ones was bacon production. I've never tried feeding one to a horse. As for the eggplants and brussels sprouts Shiloh can't stand, I'll take 'em both. I'd hand the eggplant/eggfruit off to a Sephardic chef; North Africans make magic with them. My favorite local pizza joint makes a wicked eggplant grinder too. The trick is using enough stuff that you can't taste the eggplant. Brussels sprouts - cut 'em in half, roast them in olive oil and balsamic until nice and soft and devour. There are other things too, just as long as you don't boil them. Boiled sprouts don't bear thinking on.

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  15. evelyb30

OK, but I can't stand those either. Like raw tomatoes, I can get them down but would much rather not need to.

16. komokwa

Talk about off topic....well, I cut the nub off and pull some outer leaves, then steam the brussels ....a little salt , pepper, and a dab of mayo and they go down just fine !
    The eggplant I bread and fry in olive oil ....once the bitterness is gone they taste pretty good !

I think we need a recipe thread !!!!
    The PT sellers board had a great one with everyone sharing local cuisine.

17. afantiques

Any food that need elaborate treatment and dressing to be barely edible is not worth the effort if you have other more palatable food as an alternative.

I will make an exception to my no frills rule for duck with plum sauce, but both components are delicious on their own, as are pork and apple or poultry and cranberry.

Onions make otherwise pleasant food taste of onions, as does garlic pervade all other flavours.

And don't get me started on curry, a fine way to ruin good food but a good way to disguise rotten meat and veg.

18. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

The only thing mentioned here that I do not like, is DUCK!
    As a wee child we raised ducks, and ate them.
    Hated the taste then, and hate it now.

I love veggies, except for kale & okra.
    Kale is just plain nasty, and okra just as bad.

19. komokwa

I had duck once.....in a posh London restaurant .....with Hardy Aimes !

20. evelyb30

I love duck - and frying potatoes in the duck fat later if I don't roast thin jacket ones in the pan with the bird. Kale's yummy too, especially raw in a salad. I haven't had enough okra to judge.

Draft saved Draft deleted